• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K shifter linkage questions

houser

Hi everyone. I am looking at a 955K tomorrow. I've never owned one but use to drive my dads and have been doing a lot of reading on them. So I am a virgin when it comes to these machines. The one I am looking at as some issues as might be expected. The guy is telling me it has about 50-60% on the pins, rollers and sprockets. How can I tell how much life is left in them? Also, he says the shifting linkage is very sloppy and it is quirky to get into reverse. He also says it does not go into 2nd or 3rd and believes it is due to the sloppy linkage. Evidently, it used to be used at a dirt quarry. Can anyone help with some advice?:confused:

Bob/Ont

The linkage needs rebuilding, Lever joint and rod ends, bell crank at front of case. Then the shifter shafts into the trans case need rebushing and resealing.
Later Bob

houser

Bob, thanks a lot for your response. How difficult of a job is this. Is it something I will need a professional cat mechanic? I've rebuilt gas engines and used to rebuild cars so I have a good mechanical background, just never worked on caterpillars before.

houser

Nige - That would be a great help. I'm trying to figure out whether or not this thing is worth purchasing. I am sure it has been run for many hours in the quarry. Do you have any idea the cost I'm looking at or is it reasonably cheap and/or easy?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I looked at a 955K 85J prefix machine. Worst case scenario replacing every ball-end, pin, lock, cotter, pin, bush, etc, etc, in the transmisison control linkage along with all new nuts, bolts, & washers for the whole assembly came to $275 in parts at Cat dealer prices. For a machine like this you might be well advised to go to Off-Road Equipment - http://www.offroadeq.com/

The thing is you will need Part Numbers. PM me the machine Serial Number and your e-mail address, I'll flip you the relevant page of the Parts Manual for your specific machine with the parts highlighted that I think would need changing.

Back to the problem with 2nd and 3rd gears. It may well be that the owner is correct in that it's the transmission shifter linkage, I hope so because if it's a transmisison clutch issue it's going to be far more expensive.

Bob/Ont

Most likely wear at the shift lever pivot, need spacer , bushing , bolt and nut. Also wear at the rod ends. They are the easy fixes, the more difficult and likely more necessary will be the bushings and shafts through the trans case. These bushings when worn can make shifting very difficult. For now get the floor plates off and try shifting up with a pry bar to see how 2 & 3 drive under load.
Later Bob

houser

Nige, Thanks. I sent you a private message to make sure I got the right Nige. Let me know if you got it. My S/N is an 85J2thousand series. Thanks for the web site reference. I won't get this machine home for a week or so pending delivery capability. I think it will be a good machine. It started right up and moved forward and reverse easily. I had him turn the machine and it appeared to work just fine as well. I did notice both the front lift cylinders are leaking a little so I figure I will eventually have to get seals for them. Thanks again.

houser

Bob, Thanks! I won't get the machine for a week or so pending delivery capability. Once it is here, I will learn much more about it. I tried shifting into 2nd and 3rd and it made no noise, it just did not do anything. First and reverse work fine and it turns easy enough. I'll keep everyone posted. Once here, I will send some pics.

Nige

These are the screen and filter for the transmission. See below. The first image shows the location of the screen and filter group (item 14) located in the top RH corner of the transmission itself. The second is a sectioned version of the housing. The screen is Item 17, the filter is Item 23. If anything major mechanically is amiss in the transmission that's where the particles will end up.

955K Transmision.PNG955K Trans Filter.PNG

I just sent you an email on the transmission control linkage BTW.

houser

Nige - Thanks, this is a tremendous help! :notworthy
I'll look at my e-mail on the transmission linkage information. Thanks again!

houser

Nige, Bob, I just got the machine home. Colder than... here. Drove the machine up my driveway in first. The two tilt cylinders will need rebuilt but will pull the stems out and have already priced a local repacking and seals (about as cheap as I can do it myself with the kits). Will try and post pics tomorrow!

houser

My new 955K pics

I've had her home for a couple of days now and just got around to taking these pics! We had some snow so I covered the drivers area up with a tarp. I've got some work to do now. As I noted earlier in this post, I need to purchase new shift linkage (only goes into 1 forward and 1 in reverse, no 2nd or 3rd). Also, both lift cylinders need new seals and I need a new line on the left lift cylinder. Looking under the loader from front to back, you can see the line on the right side of the pic (left side of the loader). I'm not sure but I think it is missing some of the belly pan as the line hangs below the front belly pan. The tracks are also a little loose so I will try grease first but will not be surprisd if I have to change the seals in the track tightners. Overall though, I'm happy with it!:D

Attachments

• cat-2.jpg
    cat-2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 440
  • cat-3.jpg
    cat-3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 439
  • cat-4.jpg
    cat-4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 443
  • cat-5.jpg
    cat-5.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 442
  • cat-6.jpg
    cat-6.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 439

Nige

Difficult to see from a small photo but maybe your hanging hose could be nothing more than someone has replaced a burst hose with whatever was available and the replacement was too long so it ended up being routed outside the belly guard. Hopefully that is the case.

Regarding track tension. Carefully check the external condition of the track links and bushes. Post some close up photos if you want an opinion.

Last edited:

houser

Nige, It's been raining here so I will try to get a pic soon. I'll take pics of both sides. Is there any reason that the tracks would tighten and then loosen?

Nige

Nige, It's been raining here so I will try to get a pic soon. I'll take pics of both sides. Is there any reason that the tracks would tighten and then loosen?
Regarding the tracks do you mean you can pump them up and achieve correct tension, then they loosen on their own..? If the answer is yes then the most likely cause is that the seals in the track adjusters are leaking. Replacing them is not difficult, there are plenty of threads in the track loader section of HEF. You need to be careful when disassembling is all.

houser

955K track adjustment

Nige,
No, I have not tried to pump them up. When I first looked at it, the left side track was sagging like you see it in the pics. When I moved it around and held the left brake to turn it and then parked it a few feet later, the track was tight. As you can see from the pics, it is loose again. The owner told me that it would likely need grease to tighten it. Here are the pics. Let me know if they will work.:beatsme

Attachments

• cat-8.jpg
    cat-8.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 225
  • cat-9.jpg
    cat-9.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 223
  • cat-10.jpg
    cat-10.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 226
  • cat-11.jpg
    cat-11.jpg