• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955H Generator

Not Slack

Hello and thanks for your help if you are able.

I have a 955H with electrical issues, it's not charging the batteries. I have replaced the batteries, the regulator, the circuit breaker, and now the generator is testing bad. Of course, all the parts tested bad before I replaced them and I really didn't want it to be the generator, so I waited to test it last hoping it was good. It was not and is only pushing out 2.6 volts of electricity. I looked up the part number but all that's available from Cat is an alternator replacement. I really don't want to go that route because of the expense, the mods, and the fabrication.

Does anyone know where to get a remanufactured generator? I am lost on this.

Not Slack

Thank you. I should have stated that I am not an expert on this subject. Years ago, I was a part changer in the army so I am familiar with how to trouble shoot and swapping parts. Above and beyond that I'm not much use. I need clear instructions that I can read or a you tube video to watch.

Question: What type of alternator would I need? if I installed an alternator would I just bypass the regulator and go straight to the batteries? if i had an alternator, would it inadvertently flip the poles or is that not an issue with an alternator?

Delmer

There are one wire alternators that only need one wire from the battery hooked to the alternator to work. OR, I'd prefer a standard alternator that needs that battery wire and one small wire turned on with the ignition switch to work, the battery wire and ignition wire are going to the regulator already so you just need to identify and extend them to the new alternator. The hardest part is making a mounting bracket and measuring a new belt to fit, that's why Cat can charge so much for the kit.

If you wanted to do some homework and leg work, you might find that engine in something else at a junk yard and be able to get the brackets and alternator used. The alternator is cheap, $50 and up, unless you need a two belt pulley, another $20 and up. The bracket will be some bent steel or welded angle with some holes, and a modified adjuster with the slot for the bolt. Might even fit the generator mounts, can't remember when I've seen one. This is all general, not Cat specific.

Delmer

I didn't even consider it could be 24V. That makes my prices way off, but otherwise no difference.