• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 l cat

freehole

There are two dipsticks on my 955L. I replaced the transmission oil cooler in the front next to the radiator. So I know one of the dipsticks that is low is that one lol. I don't know what the other one is, and I don't know what transmission fluid to buy ,which I'm assuming is the low on the dipstick one. Before the cooler sprung a leak they were all okay on level, That's why I'm assuming that the low one is the transmission fluid.

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_151752.jpg
    IMG_20191209_151752.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20191126_142548.jpg
    IMG_20191126_142548.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20191126_142543.jpg
    IMG_20191126_142543.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Apart from the advice you'll get, would spending less than $50 on a manual that has all this information (and much more besides including what oils to use, etc.) seem like a good plan..?
Not a very good photo but the one with the arrow pointing to it is the transmission, the other one is the bevel gear compartment.

upload_2019-12-9_18-5-46.png

freehole

Apart from the advice you'll get, would spending less than $50 on a manual that has all this information (and much more besides including what oils to use, etc.) seem like a good plan..?
Not a very good photo but the one with the arrow pointing to it is the transmission, the other one is the bevel gear compartment.

View attachment 206548
Tyvm I'm already looking for a manual, all of them are over $100 that I found.I have lots of other questions about locations as well so the manual is a must. I wish they would label those lol. I'm sure I'll be on here again thanks for the information again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Tyvm I'm already looking for a manual, all of them are over $100 that I found.I have lots of other questions about locations as well so the manual is a must. I wish they would label those lol. I'm sure I'll be on here again thanks for the information again.

Well how about giving us something to go on like a S/N (serial number)? Many operation and maintenance manuals are available for down load or on CD. Appears that some are combined and some are two separate manuals, but right around $50.00 for both.

And at that price you will spend way more just buying some oil and filters that will end up in the garbage someday, books will be used for years!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Check out the OP Ken. The S/N plate was in one of the photos - 85J7054.

To the OP. Maybe a bit of clarification is required when talking about manuals, to give you an idea of what you are looking at when you see stuff advertised online in places like Ebay.
Starting from the cheapest they are: -
1. Operation & Maintenance. The buff-colour book that should live in the pocket in the back of the seat but in your case probably disappeared long ago. Price about $50.
2. Parts Manual. Not necessarily a "must have" but if you get into all sorts of repairs it might be handy to have one. Price less than $100.
3. Service Manual. Contains the "how to" regarding Disassembly & Assembly, Testing & Adjusting, Specifications, Electrical Schematic and a lot more besides. The paper versions of the Service Manual used to also contain a copy of the O&M Manual.

A comment. When I look at Parts & Service information online for this machine the system asks me to choose am I looking at the machine or at the engine. That leads me to believe that (as old-school manuals used to be) there will be no engine information in the Service Manual. if that is true it might require separate Parts & Service Manuals for the engine.

All are available here either in CD or in paper form - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=85J07054

This one is typical of what I was talking about but it is for a slighlty higher series of 85J machine than yours - https://www.ebay.com/c/1734121376

kshansen

Occupation
Check out the OP Ken. The S/N plate was in one of the photos - 85J7054.

Okay my bad, I did not think to search every picture to see if I could find information that could have been included in the first sentence of the text as the model number was. Guess I need to be more diligent when responding to requests for help!

AllDodge

I have the manual and use the trans dip stick to also measure the drive. Trans and drive uses 30W unless operating below 32*. I use TO-4 30W in mine year round

955L Lube.jpg

freehole

Apologies for not putting it in the first sentence. I thought the pictures would pop up automatically did not know you had to open them, new to the forum thanks for the information.

kshansen

Occupation
Apologies for not putting it in the first sentence. I thought the pictures would pop up automatically did not know you had to open them, new to the forum thanks for the information.

There is a trick to have them show up full size. When you select to post the pictures there is the option to have them full size, see red arrow in example below:
an image.png

You also can select individual ones to show full size and leave other as a "thumbnail" Also not that if the image is bigger than will fit on a "normal page" then at the top of the image when viewed there will be a place for the one looking at the message to click and expand it. If you do "expand" an image and want to shrink it back just click anywhere on the image.