• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953c BBX warning light

BTallant

Hello guys, I have a 953c BBX prefix that has just returned from a cat dealer for having a injector problem. Long story short went ahead and changed all injectors. Motor runs fine now.

The issue I’m having since I’ve got the loader back is when I’m heavy pushing or press a steer pedal to make a tight turn I’ll get the red warning light with audible alarm and also the light for the hydrostatic transmission illuminates on the dash. After a few seconds the light goes away and the loader runs fine again. Also it will not do it every time the motor is under load….. just here and there. It has not thrown a service code so I’m at a loss on what it could be.

I was thinking maybe a dirty electrical connection since the cab was raised to change injectors at the dealer. Called them today just to pick their brain and the technician said he doesn’t think that is possible.

I’m not saying it is or is not something they done at the dealer but I know it wasn’t doing that before I took it in. Anyone else had a similar problem?

BTallant

The machine does not have any that I’m aware of but I’ll be honest other than the display not saying it has a active code I couldn’t tell you for sure. This is the first C model we have owned so I’m not very familiar with the electronic side of this machine.

I did get to operate the machine today for about 3 or 4 hours and the machine only acted up twice. My business partner operated it yesterday and I must have misunderstood him when he was explaining to me what was going on. So the only time the buzzer/light comes on is when you press a steer pedals near all the way to turn tight or if you are trying to turn out of a cut in a bank. Normal driving pushing digging this loader acts perfect.

BTallant

I didn’t look at that today when it acted up Nige. I seen the red “!” light illuminate and the hydrostatic transmission light on the dash illuminate. I will get the machine to do it again tomorrow and see if it throws up that serv code also and let you know. Thanks for the reply!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Also you can try this............

Lift up the RH armrest and you will find three switches under it as per the illustration below. With the key switch on, simultaneously push the spring-loaded Service & Clear switches and hold them. The display window should first show "- 0 -". If you keep the switches pressed that will change to "- 1 -", etc. When it gets to "- 3 -" release both switches.

Whatever Diagnostic Codes are Logged in the Monitor will start scrolling across the screen. Each Code will appear in 2 stages. First something like 030 followed by for example 096F03. Taken together 036 096F03 is one Diagnostic Code.

Make a note of them all, then try erasing each one by pressing the Clear switch when the Code is in the window. If the process is successful the next Code will appear. Keep erasing until the display shows three horizontal dashes or "END". That indicates there are no Codes left to erase.

At that point press both the Service & Clear switches again and let the display through the modes until it reaches "- 0 -" again, then release. At that point the monitor is back into Normal Operation Mode.

Run the machine a few hours then go back into Mode 3 again and see what Codes it has created. Simples............

1680665080609.png
1680665192819.png

Last edited:

BTallant

Ok I finally had a chance to look and see if that loader has any codes and I believe it does not have any. I let the display scroll to -3- and all that comes up is the three horizontal dashes.

Nige

Three horizontal dashes indicates no Codes either Active or Logged, which is somewhat strange seeing as you have warning lights for the transnmission control system going off. A long shot is may take a look under the floor to see whether or not there is some unsecured wiring anywhere near the pedal linkages.

I assume that you have checked all the basics, trans oil level, etc.? When was the last time the oil & filter was changed and what type of oil are you using in it.?

BTallant

Ok that’s exactly what I am thinking also. I talked to the cat tech that replaced the injectors and he was nearly certain that the wiring harness was in the clear when he set the cab back on but something has to be going on with it.

Yes sir all fluids and filters were changed at 5400 hrs. It just rolled over 5600 hrs yesterday. We know the guy we bought it from and he is very meticulous when it comes to maintenance. I don’t know the exact fluid he replaced it with but I have confidence he used the right fluid. I will ask just to make sure though.

It nearly has to be something with the wiring when the cab was reinstalled. I’m gonna try to figure it out and I’ll post back what I find. Thank you Nige for all the information and knowledge!

Nige

Yes sir I do.
Good to hear. In that case you'll be able to double check that the oils the previous owner was using match up with the O&M recommendations. The hydrostat loaders are pretty finicky on oil for the transmission if I am not mistaken. Probably a 10W hydraulic would be the appropriate oil for your location.

BTallant

I've been meaning to post an update sooner than now, but just wanted to share in case someone else has the same issue. After talking to a local guy who has a wealth of knowledge on hydrostatic transmissions/pumps, all of my issues were the cause of two solenoid plugs getting swapped by cat when they reinstalled the cab. He told me that he has seen this same problem quite a bit and the first 953c he figured it out on had been having the same issues for four years. He said the owner of the loader had also taken it back cat several times and nobody could ever figure it out.