• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953 CAT loader won't start

Dida

We have a 953 CAT loader. It turns over but will not start. It's been sitting for approximately a year but before that it ran perfectly even after sitting for months. Any ideas will help.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can you give us a hint on what this 953 is? I went to SIS to have a look and there are a dozen different versions of a 953. A full serial number would be a good start.

That said is there fuel in the tank? Does it have a hand priming pump? Maybe a drain valve on fuel filters to drain out water. Or one on the fuel tank to drain water there. You say it "turns over" does it turn over nice and fast? Does anything come out the exhaust while turning over? Did you check air filter for mouse nests? Is it electric shut down or old version where you pull governor control back to kill engine?

These are just a few things I can think of before second cup of coffee, maybe others can come up with more.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Plain 53, A, B, C, G??? s/n?
As noted, turns over, no smoke, loads of smoke, electronic engine or mechanical?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Our mechanics need a serial # Dida.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Posted up on a Profile Page - 953 S/N 44Z00153............ OP actually posted it as 44200153, but that Serial Number belongs to a 994F that I put together at an iron ore mine in Chile in 2005. Looking back through my info it was actually the first one in the country, and by the time I left 2 years later there were 14 of them in the dirt. You can see the S/N on the box in the background. That brings back memories....

upload_2019-4-13_16-54-56.png

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What's the odds in those numbers being that close?

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Wow, that could be a problem if you used the wrong serial number ordering a part. What do mean a new bucket cylinder for a 953 weighs 2000lbs?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Let's get this thread back on track. A few questions to the OP.

The machine was sat for a year - was the same diesel left in the tank..? Was fuel topped up with new fuel..?
Were the batteries simply recharged or replaced with good ones..?
Did the machine ever make any offer to fire, or was it firing occasionally but not enough to pick up and run..?

kshansen

Occupation
Wow, that could be a problem if you used the wrong serial number ordering a part. What do mean a new bucket cylinder for a 953 weighs 2000lbs?

Hate to hi-jack a thread but till the OP comes back with more info.....

WelderDave, that reminded me of a story a parts guy at the local Euclid dealer told me years back. For get what the part was he was intending on ordering but it was something small like filter as he had ordered a dozen for stock on the shelf. Faxed in the stock order. The next day he gets a phone call from the factory asking how he wants them shipped. A bit confused he says Why? They wanted to know if he wanted them by truck or rail car. He says "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" Seems someone had transposed a couple numbers and instead of ordering a case of filters he had ordered a dozen dump bodies for a 50 ton haul truck!

kshansen

Occupation
OK, not sure why OP sent this as a "Conversation" to me instead of posting it here but I will try to explain that to him.

Below copied from a "conversation"
Info you requested is as follows: It's a 953 CAT loader; SN 44200154; arrangement # 3Y8208; Engine is 3204; SN 45V32; arrangement is GN6626; Transmission SN 4NA00771; arrangement is 9J53378. It's a pull shut down. Fuel has been checked. Initially it would puff black smoke when the engine was turning over but it doesn't do that now. Air filter has been checked. The engine turns over nice and fast. Fuel tank water drained.
Thanks for your help.