• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

951c cooling system bubbles

eric815

Hi I just had a lower radiator hose blow a pinhole...old hose was wore out. I replaced the hose , refilled the radiator put the cap back on and ran it 15 minutes or so.. when i shut it down noticed it was bubbling in radiator and pouring out overflow cap . Can that be caused from me not burping out all the air or is am i completely fucked with a bad head gasket? I thought about opening the cap up and run it and figure on a engine like that if i dont get immediate bubbles in antifreeze its probably not a gasket but maybe someone out here knows more then me. my water temp guage never got passed the low white mark so im hoping maybe just air in the system could cause the overheat, theyre was no lack of power in the engine by any means. thanks in advance for any info.

eric815

I also notice if i open the radiator cap start the tractor either steam or some smoke comes out while its running almost like blowby but it smells like antifreeze and theyres no noticeable smell of exhaust at all Just smells sweet

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
it may be a bad pre chamber ,do you have the 3304 motor ?had the same problem on a 955 with 3304 eng, chamber's had pinhole leaks, bad chambers are hard to diagnose since its not overheating your radiator must be good

eric815

it may be a bad pre chamber ,do you have the 3304 motor ?had the same problem on a 955 with 3304 eng, chamber's had pinhole leaks, bad chambers are hard to diagnose since its not overheating your radiator must be good

Im not sure if it overheated or not. I would assume boiling antifreeze in the radiator is a overheating engine. I notice the fresh antifreeze has also been contaminated with muddy rusty nastyness. If i open the cap its green and as soon as i start it you can see the fluid in radiator mix and turn mud brown. Im not sure what a prechamber is but i never had any antifreeze boiling over problem before i blew that rad hose on the bottom replaced it refilled the radiator. With my luck i have a cooked head gasket probably or some kind of serious problem which would basically turn this unit into scrap metal. Its just not worth any large money going into it as im only about 2700.00 into the machine Im sure i can easily sell it the way it sits for 5k or so im sure. It does run it moves good tracks are tight bucket works well hydraulics are extremely strong. Not really sure where to go with it from here. The fact that i see smoke or something coming from radiator with cap off as soon as its started is leading me to believe its all bad :< I dont suppose you know a good mechanic in northern illinois thats mobile :> Its not worth 2k in towing on a lowboy
theyre and back anywhere around here and i really dont want to start dumping money into this unit and end up 10k into it at that point ill just buy a skidloader and sell this.

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
might be a plugged radiator core, i had same problem high heat and pushing water out large cap, the core was plugged, pulling radiator is no big job , if core is still good a rod out is only a couple hundred, a new core after market is about $1,500, if you can straighten out the cooling problem it may be worth keeping, can you turn wrenches ? towing and having some one else do the work will eat you alive, cat gets $3,500 for core way too high, if your handy with wrenches give it a try, you need to work on it at the job site, all work can be done there just raise bucket and chain it there from bucket to rops 2 chains, run a come along around lift frame and raise radiator up thru top, dont be discouraged get started and all will work out

eric815

might be a plugged radiator core, i had same problem high heat and pushing water out large cap, the core was plugged, pulling radiator is no big job , if core is still good a rod out is only a couple hundred, a new core after market is about $1,500, if you can straighten out the cooling problem it may be worth keeping, can you turn wrenches ? towing and having some one else do the work will eat you alive, cat gets $3,500 for core way too high, if your handy with wrenches give it a try, you need to work on it at the job site, all work can be done there just raise bucket and chain it there from bucket to rops 2 chains, run a come along around lift frame and raise radiator up thru top, dont be discouraged get started and all will work out

I must of had some air in theyre or the pressure cap was loose something or i was workin it to hard something, Put 4 hours on it since without a hickup no boiling since. I can turn wrenches but anything major would be a killer as you said towing will eat ya alive. Thanks for the tips thou