• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

950H Transmission Trouble

Queenslander

Our 950H, JAD02141, won’t engage in any speed or direction.
The problem has occurred a couple of times over the last few months, but after a few seconds moving the direction switch or lever back and forward it has always reengaged.
Worked fine this morning but nothing after lunch.
Park brake is releasing, fuses ok, voltage ok and no active codes showing.
Speed and direction display on the dash doesn’t change when moving the lever through all speeds and either direction... showing 4N
Reverse beeper sounds on the thumb operated direction switch but not with the hand lever.
I suspect the hand lever but assume we will have to connect et to verify.

Queenslander

Nige, there were no codes until the trans. fuse was pulled with power on.
Haven’t been able to get to solenoids yet..mounted on top of trans. with zero access.
Is there anything to be achieved by checking continuity between pos. and different speeds on selector side of connector 40?

42165041-A585-4BB4-AD0E-DDA8BF2C8E2B.jpeg

Queenslander

Terminals at the connector look fine.
Couldn’t find any continuity between any two terminals through the shifter... but then Iam not sure that there should be any.
I’ll have to bite the bullet and get someone to travel the 125km out to take a look.
The irony is that I have an empty float heading in to town in the morning but I can’t move the darned thing to load it.
As a matter of interest... can you tell me the purpose of this group of terminals?

94B108D2-7089-44B8-9748-731B2E731349.jpeg

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Any posibility that you can either winch or push the loader on to the float you have heading into town..?
I'm wondering if that jumper is a kind of "Harness Codes Plug" for the transmission shifter switch. Have you had the 4-pin connector apart..? What is the condition inside it..? More importantly, have you tried pulling the connector and run the machine to see if it changes anything, it might just allow you to move it on to the float, you never know.

Edit: I hope you've checked for the possibility that the neutralizer function isn't activated..? Sometimes dirt under the left pedal can be enough to do it.

Last edited:

Queenslander

Haven’t had the plug apart yet but will give it a go.
I haven’t specifically checked the neutraliser, but as I mentioned up thread, the dash display always shows 4N.
However, it goes to 2N when the pedal is pressed and returns to 4N when released.

Queenslander

I’ve ordered a new shifter, so if that solves the problem I’ll check for broken wires on the old one.
Bit of a punt but might save a trip out for a tech.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
I’ve ordered a new shifter, so if that solves the problem I’ll check for broken wires on the old one.
Bit of a punt but might save a trip out for a tech.
The shifter in question has been updated many times and is known to give trouble. it is used across a wide variety of machines
Hope it fixes your problems

Queenslander

New shifter has solved the problem.
Couldn’t find any breaks in the external wiring of the old one so the fault is obviously internal.
New connector has terminals 2 and 4 blanked off, only realised now what they are... so may not have horn on the steering wheel any more.