• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'94 Cat 312

Catchad81

Hello All. I recently purchased a '94 model Cat 312 with approximately 8000 hours. Fairly tight machine with a good undercarriage, strong pumps and what seems to be a good running engine. I have a couple of items however that I'm trying to pin point the problem with and any help will be appreciated. I've ran excavators in the past and some of my comparisons are based on 315BL, Deere 200, or Hitachi 200.

1) The AEC words to idle the machine. It will rev back up when the joysticks are moved but not when traveling. Also, the travel alarm does not sound. I reversed two plug in's at the solenoids to the right of the cab and the travel alarm will beep with the movement of the joysticks, AEC still works like it should with the movement of the joysticks, but no difference in the AEC's operation while traveling. What else should I check?

2) I know the travel has high and low, and that works, but even the low seems very fast. Any adjustment in the speeds?

3) The hydraulics (boom, stick, etc.) seem overly fast. I've tried different RPMs and modes, but still move fast compared to my previous experiences. Any adjustment here?

4) How can I pull codes on the monitor on this machine?

5) What is the folded up sheetmetal mounted in a carrier on the front of the fuel tank for? I've seen this same thing on other machines, but I haven't been able to pull it out. I can see it has hinges and slots at various locations throughout.

6) The hidden switches all work. On the pump switch, with it in turtle mode, all works fine. In auto it seems to stall on the motor more. Anything work with running it on turtle and/or does that sound normal for the auto on this year machine.

Thank you in advance.

Steve 650

1) pressure switch for traveling
2) same speed high/low ? travel solenoid
3) did work mode are different or all same speed
5) an thief system protection for glasses

Catchad81

1) pressure switch for traveling
2) same speed high/low ? travel solenoid
3) did work mode are different or all same speed
5) an thief system protection for glasses

1) Doesn't the travel ps control the travel alarm too? The travel alarm will work if I change the wires and operate the joysticks. Is there a 3rd pressure switch for the travel that I am overlooking?

2) The two speeds work, just the low speed seems too fast. The high speed I can't even use due to the even higher speed.

3) I can't tell any difference in the speed or operation when the work modes are changed at the monitor.

4) Anyone?

5) Never would of thought of that...