1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

91 D5h lgp

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Anthonyleuci, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Anthonyleuci

Anthonyleuci Active Member

91 D5h lgp has 9800 hours on it clean Machine been sitting for 3 to 5 years where is the trans dip stick at and does anything really go bad in the trans from it sitting for that long n what’s it worth thanks

2. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    i have a d5hxl , sat for 4 years, bought it ran it for about 100 hours and lost all of the frictions, i changed all of the fluids when i got it, the trans oil had just a tiny bit of water from condensation. turns out the friction material absorbs water and falls apart, about 15,000.00 dollars ( i had cat dealer do the work did not have time myself )
    replaced them and have serval hundred hours without any problems.
    the dip stick should be on the left side door where the battery disconnect switch is.
    a picture from the side will tell us what shape the under carriage is in some what

Anthonyleuci likes this.
  3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Here's the location of the dipstick (1). The transmission oil filler cap (2) is right next to it.
    The oil level should be WAAAY over the full mark with the engine stopped cold.
    With all machine systems at normal operating temperature and the engine idling in neutral the oil level should be between the LOW and the FULL marks.

If the tractor has been sitting for a long time there is always the possibility of a high transmission oil level because of water in it. If you can start the machine that should show up pretty quickly as milky oil. As above, the transmission clutch friction material does not like water, which is why you really need to get the engine running and the oil hot and see what it looks like. The oil should be clear and bright.

upload_2022-1-22_10-5-25.png upload_2022-1-22_10-6-19.png

Anthonyleuci likes this.