• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'91-92' JLG Crane stuck outrigger

I started a post a while back on a 1991-1992 Ford f800 with JLG 1418 crane I acquired in real estate purchase. I have a buyer who's been working on the truck and we got the truck running this past weekend. With 30,000 miles, engine sounds fantastic, no major issues.

We fired off the PTO hoping to lift the Drivers side A-frame outrigger that leaked and is set in the down position. The crane boom worked, good hydro pressure. NONE of the outrigger arms (2) or rear stabilizer arms (2) will engage. When holding toggle switch and engaging the controls, you can hear the hydro whine. We loosened the cylinder arm fittings to see if oil flowing and it is just a weak flow. The thought is it is some type of electrical issue or switch not allowing the cylinders to move. I am a crane novice, but mechanically inclined.

I need some ideas on what to check.
-I doubt it's a clogged filter (crane boom hydraulics work).
-Engine RPM was set a little higher than idle, not very high RPM. I would suspect RPM is not the issue because the passenger side Arm would not move down or up either, it would move very slow down if it had some hydro power.
- Arm is not torqued, we were able to jack it up off the ground and it moves freely. Truck is sitting with a little tilt, not much though
- Any ideas where to chase down electrical schematic or are we missing something major that would lock us out of the outrigger/stabilizer arms?

Attachments

• IMG_3590.JPG
    IMG_3590.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

skyking1

I am not familiar with that model. You have to hold a toggle switch to move the outriggers? that is a nifty safety item, if it is working properly.
I'd say you need look no further, that solenoid is malfunctioning and not passing oil. A parts or service manual would be handy, but seriously all the other valves are mechanical so there should not be a bunch of solenoid spools to mess with.

crane operator

Start at the switch- like skyking says. Either there's no power at the switch. The switch itself is bad. Or what the switch controls is bad (likely a elec. solenoid on the valve directional for outriggers).