• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8V92TA Running Hot

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Page 8 is full of great advice.
Yes Huffa, those infrared thermometers can be frustrating. Use flat black paint on shiny surfaces for more accurate readings. The good news, in this case, we are not looking for super-duper accuracy. We just want a difference in temp. We call it a delta T, in the cooling system biz.

Huffa

Yip great advice, I appreciate everyone's input. After its back together and its reverse flushed if it's still being naughty I will re vist the heat gun and look to measure that pressure in some way as discussed

Truck Shop

and look to measure that pressure in some way as discussed

Reason for testing under load-It's easy to test with a radiator pressure tester when there is a catastrophic
failure causing gases in cooling system. The reason for running a long hose and gauge into the cab is
you want to test under load conditions with as much boost as possible. There are instances where the
problem shows right away under load. I have personally have had Cat, Cummins and Detroit not fail
a bottle test {should turn bright green from cobalt blue} only to slightly turn a very dark greenish blue
or just stay blue. I use two gauges and two separate hoses, put a full load load 100k on it and run it
down the highway and work it hard every chance.

Six years ago-had a Series 60 that I suspected dropped a liner, wasn't pushing coolant but temp gauge
would dance. It failed a bottle test, I put the gauges on it-hit 18 psi, was under warranty so to the dealer
it went. They called back two days in saying all was fine. Gayle and I drove to Hermiston to pick it up, only
to find out they said they found nothing wrong engine was ok. I took the gauges with me because
they were trying to slide. I hooked them up ran it down I-84 with no trailer and service manager riding
along nothing happened till turned around 10 miles west and came back on a slight grade. It gradually
climbed to 20 psi. In the shop it went.

Last edited:

Huffa

So put the clean cooler back in, made no difference, still heating, the truck seems to be down on power a bit too which has slowly getting worse, I've gone all over the air intake making sure everything is clear and turbo is spinning. I put a fuel pressure gauge in line just out of the filter in the pressure line going to the head. I was hoping I might see low pressure to explain a bit of power loss however I got 130psi at full revs going down the road. From what I have read 40-75 psi is normal. Does to higher fuel pressure suggest a problem of some kind or is it just fine?

Vetech63

Fuel pressure range is regulated by the fuel restriction fitting on the return side of the cylinder head. There should be a stamped number on the end of the fitting..............remove it and see if th orfice is plugged and creating more fuel pressure than should be there.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The restricted fitting is a must. If it has been replaced with a regular fitting, find the correct restricted one and get it back into the fuel system. One time years ago when I was a field mechanic in remote Alaska I ran across this issue. Solution: I soldered the fitting closed then drilled it out to the correct diameter. (.071 I believe)

tavery

Occupation
sand @ gravel operation
Gosh you fellas have been having a field day while I've been gone The truck has been away getting a brake re line on the trailer so have not done anything else to it yet but I appreciate all the ideas and will keep you posted. In response to some of the posts about the Detroit I know that they are an old outa date engine but I still love them. I grew up listening to my father's 6V53 with twin stacks roaring, all 210hp of it, that truck did so much work and often pulling a trailer, never let him down. I now run 4 TS14B scrapers all 471 Detroit's, I never get sick of operating and listening to them work, we rebuilt a rear engine last year, it had worn itself out completely, god knows how many hours that engine had done. I like to steer clear of electronic engines and transmissions if possible, the old saying 'KISS' works for us - most of the time
Hi, could you reply how you up-shift your 14b's with a full bowl. Trying to
make trany last as long as possible.
Thx. Terry

Huffa

Once bowl is full and up, shifting from first to second I generally just ease the throttles a bit and shift through to 2nd, its a smooth change, 2nd to 3rd I lift foot off throttles completely and make the change, its a harder change, I dont go past 3rd gear very often unless on road or an extremely flat job

tavery

Occupation
sand @ gravel operation
Once bowl is full and up, shifting from first to second I generally just ease the throttles a bit and shift through to 2nd, its a smooth change, 2nd to 3rd I lift foot off throttles completely and make the change, its a harder change, I dont go past 3rd gear very often unless on road or an extremely flat job
Thx. Huffa, How do you go through the downshift. Terry