• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8LL or 18 speed

John Banks

It's the pattern on top of those two. Funny, like I said before, it's printed on there as 9 speed, and looking back now it does state 9sp in the advertisement. Sorry for the confusion. The build sheet shows Eaton Fuller RT-8709B, 9 forward speeds, 2 reverse.

Anyway, yes, it's the Freightliner and I love the truck. Plenty of power, great turning radius, rides very well - air cab & air suspension seat, and with the cab silencer package - it's fairly quiet too.

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
Is your 9 speed convertible to a 13 speed later on?

OrchardEx,I had a 9speed Eaton converted to a 13speed.I was told at the time I had it done it could be done on the 9 direct tranny's,but not the 9 od tranny's.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
The 8 speed with the LL2 is acutally a transmission that was developed to run in ready-mix concrete trucks to give you even more options on the very bottom to pour with. Where I work we've got all the trannys that you are talking about. The 18s are a waste of time, we've got two in macks with 427's Splitting those lower gears is just too tedious. So we don't bother but using the top half splitting is nice on the interstate. My own truck has a 8LL, and a 430 cat, that's a good combo because of how fast the revs drop off in the shift. I drove one today, that's got a 385 and an 8LL but due to the fact that it doesn't rev like mine it shifts ALOT harder. that's a truck where a 13 would be nice. It mostly depends on what you're doing with the truck for the tranny.