• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

862 john deere scraper engine swap???

dduffy1981

i have a 1984 John deere 862 with a 619 i want to know if anyone has ever switched one out with a cummins or cat motor before thanks

dustin
duffy construction

dirtpig

Occupation
truck manager
Check the length

Don't know about this particular swap but will give a few suggestions: (1)check length of frame to see what will go in the hole without frame lengthening, (2) see if the 619 has an industrial SAE type flywheel housing (makes adopting to the tranny a lot easier), (3) how is the hydraulic pump mounted? (4) Is there enough room for an air to air cooler in front of radiator? These are some of my first inspections. Engine choices would be the 8.3 or L10 cummins (do not get a low flow engine: small radiator hoses), a DT 466 binder would work as would the 4 cylinder 50 series detroit (short for easy room fitting) the old 6V detroits would be a possible choice but noisy and use a little more fuel. You could go with a deutz engine and do away with the radiator for room. An old 237 mack truck engine may be small enough to go in the engine compartment should be cheap and they have great torque. Good luck on your project.