• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

855 big cam running hot ... DIRT culprit?

RenoHuskerDu

Today we had about 100F in Texas. Running loaded, the 855 was getting warm over 60 and up hills. That's classic radiator insufficiency symptoms. I was dreading finding a radiator for this ole 1984 truck.

Got home and pulled out this nifty 90° squirter the LS dealer gave me with my little 55hp tractor.

AMAZING how much dirt came out of my radiator fins. Had to hose down my carport after I was done. Red East Texas dirt ... the worst kind.

I think tomorrow she'll run cooler.

upload_2022-5-17_19-25-2.png

RenoHuskerDu

Welp, a few hot days running later, it's clear that cleaning out the mud definitely helped. But she still climbs up a bit in heat on hills.

In the old days, I'd take a radiator out to get rodded, dipped, resoldered. Haven't seen a radiator shop in years. There used to be a couple good ones in any decent small city. I am saving a brass IH 7.3 IDI radiator out on a fence in case I find one. Now I need one for my 855 also. Guess I'll call around.

Radiators are aluminum with plastic tanks these days. The one in my 99 F550 is still running fine on that original. But rebuilds are not a thing with aluminum radiators, afaik.

Shimmy1

As long as she isn't touching 220, stop worrying about it. Proper coolant with a working cap to maintain at least 8 psi will raise the boiling point to about 240°F.

RenoHuskerDu

OK guys, thanks. This is my first Cummins. I owned a 14 liter V6 Mercedes rolloff tipper in France and had cooling issues with it. That makes me a little gun shy as it were. Its radiator was aluminum. Cleaning fins did not help.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The thermostat starts to open below its official set point, so if it is a 180 degree thermostat the engine will run like 172 most of the time at light load, cold days etc.

When you really get it working on a warm day the stat will be fully open and the temperature drop from radiator to outside air will be doing the regulating. The hotter the water gets, the greater the difference between the water and the outside air, and the easier the heat flows from one to the other.

At some point the fan comes on. I don't remember if you talked about that in another place. Is it air or viscous? It should sound like an airplane when the engine is at high RPM and be very noticeable when on vs off.

Another item is the temperature gauge, how do you know it is telling the truth.

Delmer

Since this is an 84, and somebody that drove it along the way didn't use distilled water to top it up. Have you flushed the cooling system? l like to drain it hot after it's been working, fill it with rainwater once it's not hot, and work it another hour, drain some into a clean white bucket, and repeat until you don't get any more sediment, or at least you're comfortable with the amount of sediment. Then refill with 50/50, or 40% antifreeze. The antifreeze is thicker and has less heat capacity than the water, straight water will keep it cooler, but antifreeze will give you a little more room before it boils so more cooling capacity there like BV said.

RenoHuskerDu

Well, how do you not remember if it was reading 180, or 220?

It's a fair question. I'm 6'5" and keep the air seat up near the top of its travel. So the hood of the instrument panel masks the top of the gauge, but I can see the needle and I'm familiar with the range it's in and when it creeps up. If I lean down to look closer, then I'm looking thru the top part of my glasses, which are for seeing down the road, not up close. So it's blurry. Finally, I messed up my neck in hapkido years ago so it won't lean back like you young guys.

Somebody should invent upside down bifocals for working under trucks and seeing well up close thru the top part of the glasses. But of course I could not wear them to drive and see that darn gauge. It would be great when under a truck working on things.

Shimmy1

I'm guessing that it was probably running just fine. It would have to bury the needle to be running at 220. When you look at it, I'm betting you're going to guess it was between 205 and 210.Instrument-Clusters-International-S-Series-16989196.jpg

Truck Shop

Does it have a air clutch fan hub? if so many of those the sending unit {Index brand} was set at 205*
before fan would engage.

terex herder

Actually, prescription bifocals with a top lens have been around a long time. Just ask for them next time you get glasses. OTC type top lens? I have no idea if they exist.

RenoHuskerDu

I'm guessing that it was probably running just fine. It would have to bury the needle to be running at 220. When you look at it, I'm betting you're going to guess it was between 205 and 210.

I took a pic too, but yours is much better. Yes, it was around 205 at the highest. So I guess I was worrying for nothing. It was 100F and I was hauling up a 2 minute hill. Thanks guys.

Anybody have a pic of an air clutch fan hub, so I can compare it to what I have?

I'm going to the optometrist soon with that tip. Thanks for that info!