• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

815B Transmission Removal

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
The rear drive shaft let go and has knocked a hole in the transmission housing and unfortunately we not only got a new drain hole in the transmission, but also a nice long crack running to the matting surface between the trans and the transfer case. So she has got to come out. Does anyone have a procedure I can refer to with my mechanic to perform this removal? I checked the manual I bought for the machine, but its not got much for major component removals like this.

Also for anyone interested, below are some photos of where we cut out the bad spot in the housing and found that this transmission had apparently already had this happen in the past and been brazed back together.
SN: 17Z01334

Housing.jpg Drvie Line.jpg Trans.jpg Brass.jpg

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
I found the removal guide in my manual. I missed it during my initial look through. Will let you guys know how we make out.....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Yea I second that! One good reason to keep an eye on maintenance things like greasing drive lines and checking for loose hardware along with having operators who don't abuse machines. Not saying what the root cause of this was but it's not what I would call "Normal Wear".

Best of luck!

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Machine has been dragged up to our local dealer for removal and then I have the advantage of a father whos spent the past 40 years in the welding and fabrication business whos going to tackle the hole repair. He's optimistic he can braze it all back together so it will hold fluid. With it having been brazed once before it'll be interesting to see how he comes out. If not then I've found a company in Kentucky that has them ready to go for about $10,500.... Not the best case scenario, but a last resort if all else fails.

Reactions: DB2

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Closing out this thread. We took the transmission for repair but unfortunately the new brass would not take when being brazed to the old. I guess a bandaid on a bandaid is not a good combo at the end of the day. However, I was able to locate a new/refurbished housing for the transmission in South Carolina from Blanchard Cat and they sold it to me for just short of $3,000 with shipping. We're in the process now of pulling the planetary gears out of the old housing and transferring over to the new housing and reassembling. I was also told that this transmission and torque converter setup was very common to a wide number of machines of that same vintage such as loaders smaller scrapers etc. So if you too find your self with a busted housing its worth a call to Blanchard. They keep one or two in stock they say all the time for these situations.