• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

815 diff oils

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Good morning all,

We have an old 815 compactor, 91P383. We are changing oils and repairing a wheel end again, 3rd time, and I cannot find an accurate spec for the diff and final oil.
It has been filled with 80-90 in the past.
Thanks for any help
Russ

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it was mine it would get SAE50 TO-4, whether that is what the O&M said or not.
On some machines of that age 80W/90 gear oil was specified.

What exactly went wrong with the wheel end.? Was it the same wheel end and the same failure all 3 times or different.?
TBH if it was the same wheel end failed 3 times and the other three (and both diffs) didn't fail then I would not be looking too closely at what oil was in it.

typ4

Occupation
The hub that holds the ring gear was welded up and that is the only thing I can find out of standard. Maybe cocking the ring gear some. Or a bad install on a planet shaft and damaged a bearing? not sure.
BUT I cannot find a torque spec for the hub nut. It is the large ring nut with lock plate ,not the plate with six bolts like everything we own.
Thanks
Russ

Nige

If you are referring to the two nuts on the diff pinion then you have to use the inside one to adjust the bearings on a rolling torque specification, then use the lock and the outer one to lock up the entire assembly.
If instead you are referring to the adjustment of the diff carrier bearings the procedure is still somewhat similar.
Is the attached of any use.?

Attachments

• Differential D&A.pdf
    728.8 KB · Views: 2

typ4

Occupation
Wheel end hub nut
And that is helpful as we are disassembling that unit to clean metal out of all the nooks and crannies.

typ4

Occupation
You are awesome .
Thank you very much.
Its amazing where this fine metal gets, diff bolts are packed with it.
Is the TO-4 same as truck trans 50wt powertrain oil. ? Not finding that info easily.
One old guy in the area said 15-40 engine oil in everything.
I like the 50 wt idea
Trans has TO4 30 wt in it.

Nige

Same oil type as the SAE30 you already have in the trans, just a bit heavier. Surely the same supplier where you get the 30 should be able to come up with a 50.?

EDIT: The other option would be an SAE80W/90 or a straight 90 EP Gear Oil.

Last edited:

typ4

Occupation
Yes they can get about anything I need.
Thank you for the help.