• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8" concrete w/ 2" asphalt overlay demo

jms1387

Looking at a job with 6,000 sy of 8" conc w/ 2" asphalt overlay that has to be tore up and hauled away. any ideas on most efficient way to strip the overlay off?

Turbo21835

Last one I did like this was with a mill. Granted it was 3 inches of asphalt. Our yard also happened to be 3 miles from the job. We hired someone to mill, loaded our trucks, and dumped it in our yard. We had just finished stripping a large section topsoil, so the free fill worked out well for what we had going on.

If there is an edge where you can get your excavator teeth under, you should be able to pop the asphalt off the concrete if you have no interest in the mill. But I will say, the mill is probably going to be the quickest most efficient option.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What equipment do you have at your disposal to tackle the job?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We would just take it all in mixed loads but we have our own crusher. 2" is hardly worth milling unless you can't find a place to dump it, but I would think you could it just might cost a little more.

heavylift

2" inches will usually strip right off with a loader bucket, toothed ones work the best. Even a skid steer will peel it off.

Some recyclers will take mixed loads, they even grind it as a separate type product now

One company also runs just asphalt thru the crusher as needed, they will stockpile asphalt until they have enough to run

buckfever

If the asphalt is being stubern you could use a mini with a hammer to break it lose. then scrape it up with a skid loader.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Are you required to remove it? As stated above most recyclers dont care. I would be more concerned about wether there is bar in the concrete or plastic and or foam underneath it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Welcome to the Forums David Schnider. If you would please take the time, scroll through the Forum rules and familiarize yourself with the site rules. One specifically about advertising - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/announcement.php?f=81

Aside from the "for sale" area, for member's personally owned goods, advertising of goods and services is not permitted unless sponsoring heavyequipmentforums.com. A vendor of goods or services may make one introductory post explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. No further promotion of your product or service may be made without sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.

Special Note: Vendors of goods or services, or their representatives, who join the forums and make no worthwhile contributions other than to post multiple links to said goods and services are considered spammers. Spammers will have their posts removed, and their membership terminated with extreme prejudice.
:cool2

Your first post is your "freebie". If you are interested in becoming a sponsor and help support the HEF community, please contact the site founder Steve Frazier. Thank you for you cooperation.

BTW - If jms1387 hasn't completed this job in 7 months, he's probably moved on to something else.:rolleyes:

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
BTW - If jms1387 hasn't completed this job in 7 months, he's probably moved on to something else.

Duh! I hate it when I dont pay attention to the dates! What a DA.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
BTW - If jms1387 hasn't completed this job in 7 months, he's probably moved on to something else.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Geee ! ...I don't know bout that CM ? ...... are you that sure ? ...... they might still be looking for the right answer ....LOL .... just kidding ! ....... BTW ...Great moderating ..... :thumbsup