1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

8.3 Cummins automatic to manual conversion

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by sawzall5150, Apr 16, 2020.

1. sawzall5150

sawzall5150 Well-Known Member

Seld employed welder, fabricator,millwright,piping
    First off, thanks to all of you who helped me along to determine that the 3116 in my 96 top kick was trashed. Good riddance. So... I have a 300 hp 8.3 Cummins, mechanical, from a wreck and only 66,000 miles that I want to fit in there. It’s only 1/2” longer than the cat and very close in height. The 8.3 has a Allison MD 6030 electronic that I can’t use because I have none of the electronics to go with it and even if I could get that and get air programmed it would cost more than the truck would be worth. I picked up a good RTO 6613 yesterday to go with it. It has a #2 bell housing. The Allison also measures to a #2. Question here is.....is the existing flywheel housing/adapter coupling the Allison the same depth needed for the road ranger? I don’t yet have a flywheel or clutch set. Thanks

2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

What does this truck do? A 6613 is going to be pretty light behind that 8.3.

3. sawzall5150

Maybe occasionally move my 20,000 lb telehandler or 15,000 lb backhoe. It’s a 6500 series base truck that started life as a Monroe dually pickup conversion. It’s the one in the picture.

4. sawzall5150

Same question would apply on a bigger road ranger.

5. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

6613s held up very well in tandem dumps behind 3208s and some 671 detroits even some l 10 cummins . an unknowing driver could screw one up in hurry though.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  6. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Yep. Seen quite a few in drill rig chassis that grossed out pretty heavy.

Truck Shop and Spud_Monkey like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    The RTO6613 is 5 gears in deep reduction, 5 gears in low range and 5 gears in high range. It's called a 13spd if deep reduction is used -shift 1,2,3 in deep reduction air shift to low range and
    shift back into 1st for the even split, then shift on up to high range. Technically it's a 15spd. Eaton advertised it as a 13spd for marketing reasons. But in most cases a driver will only use the
    10 gears, the low range five and the high range five. So really it's a 10spd with deep reduction and should have been marketed as the real Super Ten.

Worked for a Ag company that had 11 International 1954 tandem axle 466's with RTO6613's that hauled 46-48,000 all the time, and even the farmers couldn't tear those up.

RZucker and Spud_Monkey like this.
  8. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I have a 78,000 lbs crane with a small box 613, and had a 52,000lbs machine with a 6613. I really like that trans. Super low on the jobsites, and some good travel speed. It will be fine with a 8.3

A 8.3 from a allison application will need a different housing on the engine. The allison ones are deeper, manual transmission ones are shallower. They make a couple different versions of manual transmission ones. The manual trans housings differ depending on where you want the starter located.

Truck Shop likes this.
  9. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Yeah, I liked that one, too. Mine was in a Chevy C90 with a 6-71.

10. sawzall5150

Crane operator, we talked a little a year or so ago when I got the 8.3. Now that the cat’s done I have no choice but move forward with the 8.3. If you could possibly get a depth measurement on your housing adapter that would help me in my search. I’d sure like to use the starter that’s on the 8.3 right now. Luckily it’s complete even has air compressor, alternator and Jake. Still need flywheel and clutch set. I did however find a partial donor truck same year model that I can rob all the clutch pedal, linkage etc. since mine is automatic. I’ll have a Allison 545? and some low mileage 3116 parts for sale eventually. Thanks

11. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

12. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Which side would you like the starter on in the truck? I would determine that by where the existing starter is and where you have the most room, because of exhaust and steering/ pedals. I think the options are drivers or passenger, and I think there was a high and low options for each. You should be able to just rotate your nose cone on the starter to make it work on either side.

I'll see if I can get a depth for you tomorrow.

Truck Shop likes this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    The less fiddling with electrical the better.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  14. Tenwheeler

Tenwheeler Senior Member

I do not thank you can get that housing for anything over a 9 series.
    Never did exactly that but other on road and industrial swaps. Never had a problem with housing depth. If your flywheels have the same OD I thank you will be OK.

Truck Shop likes this.