• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

763 traction drive starting problem

gmantwo

Hi, borrowed a 763 in exchange for fixing it up a bit. Runs like a top when you get it started, but..... Sometimes, most actually, when you hit the key, the drive tries to kick in and the starter doesn't have enough umph to crank it then. I can cycle the key on & off until eventually it will start without the drive trying to kick in. No idea what to even explore. Once it starts the machine works pretty well. The other problem I will explore after I get the starting trouble straightened out. Raising the lap bar, putting the parking brake "on" makes no difference.

I am a Captain on a 5000 horsepower towboat and am away at work another 19 days, so any suggestion will have to be put into place later, but I'll be making plans. Thanks

crewchief888

raise the cab and check the centering plate on top of the pumps.

if the centering spring is still holding it in place, look around the levers for worn parts

:drinkup