• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

76 D4D new toy with problems

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Are you saying I bought a bad machine? Not understanding you last comment
Thats too early to tell . In the real world nobody is going to give you a dozer and 15 thousand to cover repairs . A point I should have made in my last post is you won't be able to get at all the bolt heads around the clutch's , I counted the number I could not get at and removed the same number next in line , THEN MOVED THE DOZER WITH THE PONY MOTOR , saves using a jack like one of the posters has said .

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That D4D is direct electric start, so no pony to utilise there. I guess you could use the electric starter, but that's hard on electric starters, and outside their design limitations.

A jack on the track works just fine - unless you do what the brother and I did, when we were young and still dumb (1965) - we positioned our (new) toolbox on the track, and had so much fun jacking the tractor along and unscrewing the steering clutch bolts, we forgot about the toolbox!
When the toolbox reached the top carrier roller, it overbalanced and fell off the track! Didn't exactly improve the operation of the toolbox drawers, from that day on! Hard lesson learned!

Bluox

This machine has a power shift transmission with a torque divider so good luck moving it with the starter.
And you take the bolts out of the brake drum not the clutch.
Bad Bob

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Ooops, yes, we're talking about a powershift machine here, aren't we? Epirbalex threw me back to direct drive, when he started talking about a PONY MOTOR! What were we talking about again?? LOL

Yes, bolts on the D4D hold the brake drum only. But the tractor I was working on in 1965 was an Allis-Chalmers, and they had bolts in both clutch assembly and the brake drum - and lots of them!
All the power boosted oil steering clutches in Cats have bolts in both clutch assembly and in the brake drum.

I hate dry clutches with a vengeance, oil clutches were a huge advance. No more smoking brake linings when the workload got heavy! Chaining down heavy timber was murder on clutches and brakes, always getting pulled off line, and having to try to straighten up again.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Ooops, yes, we're talking about a powershift machine here, aren't we? Epirbalex threw me back to direct drive, when he started talking about a PONY MOTOR! What were we talking about again?? LOL

Yes, bolts on the D4D hold the brake drum only. But the tractor I was working on in 1965 was an Allis-Chalmers, and they had bolts in both clutch assembly and the brake drum - and lots of them!
All the power boosted oil steering clutches in Cats have bolts in both clutch assembly and in the brake drum.

I hate dry clutches with a vengeance, oil clutches were a huge advance. No more smoking brake linings when the workload got heavy! Chaining down heavy timber was murder on clutches and brakes, always getting pulled off line, and having to try to straighten up again.
We are , I'd have a crack at using the main motor on this one , biggest problem would be setting up a small diesel tank .

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A jack under the grousers to move the tractor is simple, straightforward, and doesn't require jerry-rigging fuel systems and running the main engine. The advantage of the jack under the track, is that due to final drive gearing, it only takes a small amount of track chain movement to spin the steering clutches a full revolution.

This mechanic is only using a cheap trolley jack to move the tracks forward on an earlier model 7U D4.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
A jack under the grousers to move the tractor is simple, straightforward, and doesn't require jerry-rigging fuel systems and running the main engine. The advantage of the jack under the track, is that due to final drive gearing, it only takes a small amount of track chain movement to spin the steering clutches a full revolution.

This mechanic is only using a cheap trolley jack to move the tracks forward on an earlier model 7U D4.

He had no choice because his motors are out . And he has a concrete floor . Using a rattle gun would have needed the dozer moved more than the once . Brings back a few memories seeing the dozer opened up

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
D 4 D s could be converted to a wet back end as one we had new back in NZ in the early 70s came as a dry backend but they had the dealers change it a wet one, was a P/S machine.

tctractors

Two or Three worth while tips for anyone lifting the Cross Shaft out of a D4C or D is to always note the position of the Bevel Gear in relation to the case so mark things, the adjuster collars on the cross shaft bearings need to be undone way off especially behind the bevel gear side to allow the un-meshing of the bevel gear and pinion or you will damage the heel of the pinion as a common thing, use the clutch release yolks to lift out the cross shaft via the top of them and do it slow and steady helping the ring gear to pass the pinion, you will then need a bit of flat steel bar drilled to bolt to the brake drum with 2 bolts to undo the nut that holds the clutches to the cross shaft, I have a fancy 1" drive socket for this job that is reduced on the outside diameter, the nut is locked also, then you will need the CAT Service press kit to press them off. good luck tcractors

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
D 4 D s could be converted to a wet back end as one we had new back in NZ in the early 70s came as a dry backend but they had the dealers change it a wet one, was a P/S machine.
Biggest problem to overcome is the thought that those saying it can't be or shouldn't be done are correct .

Un4gvn

Well I'm in no way excited about this project!! But I'll get it done.

What is a fair price for a D4E winch with driveshaft and controls?

Is anyone running an enclosed cab and rollover protection over it? I would like to see pictures if you are or have seen a picture.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Un4gvn. To put a winch on a powershift D4D it has GOT TO have factory installed PTO arrangement. There is NO pto shaft on standard D4D powershift transmission. There was 2 types of PTO. 1st type had a disconnect dog clutch with a lever by your left heel to disengage bevel gear and then engage winch. You have GOT TO have this setup to run a Hyster D4E winch, because its a sliding gear winch. Also the winch drive shaft is longer for the powershift usage, than if the winch came off a direct drive D4D which is a shorter shaft.
Later D4D have "Live PTO" ie constant running non interuptable; and you have to have a powershift winch on these like
1 Hyster W5B
2 Hyster W5A
3 Cat model 54
those winchs are listed in order of whats the best one to run and own.
RE the wet backend D4D s, wet steering clutchs and brakes were a factory option on later japanese built 47H and 65J models.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Un4gvn. To put a winch on a powershift D4D it has GOT TO have factory installed PTO arrangement. There is NO pto shaft on standard D4D powershift transmission. There was 2 types of PTO. 1st type had a disconnect dog clutch with a lever by your left heel to disengage bevel gear and then engage winch. You have GOT TO have this setup to run a Hyster D4E winch, because its a sliding gear winch. Also the winch drive shaft is longer for the powershift usage, than if the winch came off a direct drive D4D which is a shorter shaft.
Later D4D have "Live PTO" ie constant running non interuptable; and you have to have a powershift winch on these like
1 Hyster W5B
2 Hyster W5A
3 Cat model 54
those winchs are listed in order of whats the best one to run and own.
RE the wet backend D4D s, wet steering clutchs and brakes were a factory option on later japanese built 47H and 65J models.
Yeah, the D4D we had at Renners had the Dog Clutch set up so when using the winch U used the P/S trans which gave U 3 fwd and 3rev on the drum, also had a hyd tit bull blade and towed a Cat 40 scoop behind it as well.

Un4gvn

Well that's not good news. I know where another D4D is that's been sitting along time that was a skid tractor. Maybe it has what I need.

Un4gvn

And the blade is backwards! You pull back and it goes down. You push forward and it comes up. Now it's been awhile since I was on one but that not what I remember.

Attachments

• 20221209_154720.jpg
    20221209_154720.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
  • 20221209_154705.jpg
    20221209_154705.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 45

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
They bent the track adjuster bad! How do you do that?
You can bend the track adjuster pushrod by ramming the front idler into a big rock or a big stump.
And what is the tiny know under right heel?
That looks like a brake locking latch for parking, to me.
And the blade is backwards! You pull back and it goes down. You push forward and it comes up.
One dopey fitter has installed the hydraulic hoses to the blade lift cylinders the wrong way around. They failed to note their position when they removed them.
Simply disconnect the hoses at the lift cylinder and swap them around. Even a Cat dealer did that to me once.
Is this the correct way to repair the hydraulic cylinders?
Yes - but it's a pretty rough repair. It's a common procedure to cut the end off lift cylinder shafts and attach a new piece of chromed shaft with weld.
You'd have to hope they did a good job with the welding, and got good deep penetration through the whole thickness of the shaft. Good workmanship would see the welding finished off with neat machining.