• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

751 bobcat fuel tank help

JeffCross

Skid loader was running fine, until I added 5 gallons of diesel with water in it by mistake. Now I can't get fuel to the fuel filter. I can't tell if the pickup tube is good because I can't see the fuel tank, any ideas on how I can test it or see it and any suggestions on how to get the fuel to the filter? The primer is working, I think, because I manually sucked on the line and couldn't get any fuel. Also, how can I get to the tank without pulling the motor? It is a '97 751 Bobcat Skid loader.

curbside

I'm not familiar with that year of model but one of my machines is a 1999 773. It also got water in the tank (long story). We drained the tank by accessing the inspection plate underneath the machine but did not fix the problem. Accessed the fuel pick up by lifitng the cab and reaching to the back of the tank which is just visible before the engine starts but under all kinds of hoses. Removed fuel line and checked to make sure line was not kinked or pluged by blowing air. Then pulled out fuel pickup. It has a mesh screen over the end. This screen gets plugged up with mud and scum and will seal up tight not allowing anything through. Replace the mesh or eliminate all together. Good chance yours also is all plugged up. Hopefully you can get at yours from the top of the cab. Goodluck.

JeffCross

Thanks for the help. Wasn't able to get to it like you said because of my arm length, but I got to it from the side after removing several parts from the engine. It looks like the line was clogged, then when I blew air into it I ripped the line off the pump. Once I replaced the line, everything worked just fine.

CAT793

Be very careful blowing compressed air in Bobcat Fuel Lines in the reverse direction to clear debris!
Inside the tank is a Plastic coarse screen to filter the Gum Leaves and Budgee's and the Compressed air can dislodge the Screen Assm.Runs fin on a full Tank but wont use the bottom 1/4.
Engine out and Tank arort to fit it to the pick up tube again!

Seen it done twice on the same machine at a Hire joint!

TALLRICK

Most Bobcats of the late 90's vintage have the tank under the engine and the fuel line goes to a steel 90 degree fitting on top of the tank. Inside the tank is a 1/4" ID vinyl tube ending in a steel screen assembly with a check valve to keep fuel from returning to the tank. After years in the Bobcat it likes to fall off into the tank. As mentioned above blowing air inside can only accelerate the process. If you do lose the end just leave it in the tank and buy a new vinyl hose and end screen. A new rubber grommet is nice too.

curbside

I guess I should have been a little clearer about blowing air into the line. I meant take the hose off of the intake and blowing from that hose to the squeeze ball after freeing that line (removing the squeeze ball) to make sure that line is not plugged or kinked.

gric

Hello everyone. I have a 2000 bobcat773 i need to know how to remove the pickup tube. Does it turn or do u just pull up on it until it pops out. I only see two lines on top of the tank. One goes to the primer bulb and one goes to the fuel fill neck. Also is the fuel pump a little silver round metal deal connected to the injector pump by a couple screws? My bobcat loses power on inclines it start to gradually lose power until it shut down.

RHIT02

The pickup tube is just a vinyl hose with a screen on the end. Pull the grommet out a flat head screwdriver works good. Seperate it off of the metal 90 fitting. When you put it back to gether push the new pickup tube/hose into the grommet... put that in the tank first and then put the elbow in.

The bobcat dealer should be familiar with this to give you pointers when you pick up the new parts... about $13

Did this on Saturday last week, took about 30 minutes

Roland Zimmermann

Thanks for the help. Wasn't able to get to it like you said because of my arm length, but I got to it from the side after removing several parts from the engine. It looks like the line was clogged, then when I blew air into it I ripped the line off the pump. Once I replaced the line, everything worked just fine.
I have the same problem on a 751 which side of the engine was it on