1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6N lgp or 6R xw vpat

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Bullcat, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:42 PM.

1. Bullcat

Bullcat Active Member

Owner, operator, excavating
    If you had a choice between a 6N lgp or a 6R xw vpat for grading in the mid west which one would you prefer, and why. Both are GPS ready when I decide to jump into that. Looking to upgrade from a D4H lgp, but keep the D4 for smaller projects. This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

6R is heavier but both are a big step up from a D4H. Do you need an LGP dozer?

3. Bullcat

Bullcat Active Member

Ya, I'm a little over due to upgrade from the D4. Lgp is preferred for the softer conditions we get into, and stability working on slopes. More wear I understand but I'll give up a little more wear for the stability and floating.

4. Welder Dave

5. Bullcat

Bullcat Active Member

Thanks Welder Dave. Ya, I already have a 6Rxw for heavier work. Maybe I could better ask why the R model was optioned with a vpat when the N with pat blade is available. Is it just a beefier machine for heavier work? Which machine is balanced better or nicer to grade with? Is the N better in tight areas or are they similar?

6. Welder Dave

Didn't know you already have a 6R XW so you probably know more than I do. Not sure what your odd questions are for since you already own one of the dozers you're asking about.

7. Bullcat

Bullcat Active Member

My 6R has a semi u blade, not the best finishing blade. My question is, 6R with a pat blade machine compared to a 6n pat blade machine? Thanks

8. Welder Dave

You should give all the info at the start so people have all the details. I think the thread I posted has some good info. The Cat dealer could probably be a big help too.

9. Bullcat

Bullcat Active Member

Your right Welder Dave, I should have given more info, I just didn't think it was important since I was just wanting a comparison of the two machines for grading. Dealers are bias and don't have first hand knowledge like someone who has run both machines. I have always valued everyone's knowledge on here way higher than any dealer with an agenda. And asking a dealer about older models, I get the "that's so old we don't remember, it will push dirt that's all you need attitude" I apologise that I have negative attitude towards the dealer, I've just never had a good experience with one to be helpful in purchasing equipment for my company's size. The thread you posted was helpful but I need more information yet. Thanks

10. Welder Dave

They are both Cat machines. Cat has more research, development and application information than anyone. They have experts that deal specifically with what machine would be the best for your application(s). Also the reason they have various models of D6's. The machines you're looking at aren't that old. Give the dealer a chance before brushing them off. A good salesman would be able to help you and/or put you in touch with who could.

11. Sturgill

Sturgill Active Member

Owner/operator
    I would think for finish and semi heavy digging the 6N with Vapt would be better. The 6R has more weight and power... may not be the best for a Vpat blade, that's why most have the semi U.