• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'69 D4 continuation

reubenT

the forum will let me start a thread now so I can stop the confusion on the other one.

I was thinking injector no 3 was at fault because it seemed to be putting out somewhat less fuel, but after cleaning everything some more it's improved so it's about as good as the others but still won't run except the occasional hit. I'm beginning to wonder if the compression is low on that cy. Now that I get this far I'm remembering last time I was running it for some time one cy started missing occasionally and gradually got worse. I suppose I could make an adapter to put a compression gauge on it, but it would take probably a whole days work on the lathe to make the insert with female sparkplug threads on the top end.
(I have an antique lathe with change gears for thread cutting, but haven't spent the time yet to figure out how to set it up for threading.
Since it's running fairly strong on 3, I'm going to see if it will do I need to do for now, which is knock about half to 3/4 acre worth of small trees loose, I can clean it up with my little skid steer. Make space to put in a few hundred tomato plants about 6 weeks from now.

reubenT

yes, I was able to start the engine with them a few times at first, in warm weather. but two broke when I removed them the first time I took it apart, (bottom end still in the head) and then they wouldn't start it anyway, so I just use starter fluid to get it going. And it takes too much, when cold it has to have a mist of it until the engine speed picks up enough. And then even when hot it won't start without it. Seems like low compression to me, I'll have to set up a compression test when I can find time.

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Well the reason I ask about glow plugs is because I always pull them and do my compressioon test through there