• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'68 580CK Project

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk.....I was going to post a couple pics, but this new format has me totally stumped. Why didnt they leave a good thing alone? Can you give me a quick tip on inserting pics from my computer........it keeps asking for a "Url site".

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
68 Case, I used the 'Upload a File' tab at the lower right of this frame. From there, I selected the file from the location where I keep all the tractor pics. Once uploaded, you can select either full size or thumbnail. It was easier than I though it would be. I think there is also an edit option on here somewhere in case you want to correct or add something. The other tab 'Options' gives you a slightly different view and has a tab 'Preview' which I like to use so that I know exactly what is being posted. Just mess around with it and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

The battery box cover is the original one, just tarted up with a coat of epoxy primer and Imron that I had matched to be close to the Case orange. I have the small tool box somewhere and need to do a minor repair on its bottom due to some rust at one end. It would be easy for you to make one up. They are held in place by one of the bolts for the brake assembly. I have found that it filled with dirt but was a handy spot for an adjustable wrench and a can of ether.

Last edited:

Tee Wrecks

Its my turn to post up some pictures of my '68 580CK and show progress in this thread of my engine removal, major overhaul and replacement. While its apart, I am hoping to fix a couple of other issues and repaint the various pieces during reassembly. This will take place over some months due to the location of the machine and my ability to support the anticipated expense. While its not always prudent to put a substantial amount of effort and cost into 40+ year old equipment, I am the third owner and have had this one for over 25 yrs. Its been very useful at my cottage property on a small island in the Salish Sea (formerly Georgia Straight) off Vancouver Island. The time has finally come to do right by this workhorse and share the journey with those who frequent this board. I will also be seeking advice and clarification when issues come up, which I can guarantee there will be at least a few. Thanks for coming along on the ride....

View attachment 146213View attachment 146214
That is so cool. I have one like yours without the cab. I'm looking for an operator's manual. I'm having issues with my starter motor and battery. I keep blowing up my starter and shorting my battery. Of course there are other issues like hydraulic leaks and the previous owner did some "creative" wiring...Eeeek! But I love my little Construction King diesel.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Tinkerer, That's a good link but its for the 580 'C' and Tee is looking for the plain old 580 like mine. I've been trying to post copies of pages out of my 580 manual but am getting errors because of the file size. Not sure how to reduce them, but I'll figure it out. I owe a few other posters copies of other pages as well, so will try again tonight.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
This is a shout out to 1968 Case 580CK and Oneman. Hope you guys are doing fine. Been some time since I was able to work on my 580CK but its finally getting there again. I've had too many months down sick and with treatment, am now feeling better, eating and feeling like doing stuff again. Don't take your good health for granted.

I have a bunch of pictures sitting on the camera and will add them when I get time, for the entertainment of those who were following this thread over the past year or so.

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk.......Hey friend! Great to hear from you again for sure! Sorry to hear about being sick, but its great to hear you are recovering, getting stronger, and ready to throw some more wrenches at your big yeller and orange rig.
I look forward to more of your posts soon......and more great pics.

I too need to pull the tarps off my 580 and do some wrenching and repairs.......sometimes life pulls you in so many other directions.

onemank6

Hey jusk and 68 how's things still finishing up with things for the big D but wanted to let you know I got ole Marie out of the deal and she's starting to come back in action I'll post some pics sorry I haven't kept up just a lot of crazy the past year but getting better

Grady

- glad to hear things are looking up for you. What is ailing Marie these days?

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Good to hear from you, Oneman. Its a long road but you will come out just fine. I don't have much to post up on my project, other than some odd pictures of painting the loader frames and other yellow bits when I find them on the camera. Not much going to be going this week, as I'm in chemo again but at least things are looking up on that front.
We'll watch for your posts. The old ones were pretty entertaining and set the standard for fun on here.

1968 Case 580CK

Hey jusk and 68 how's things still finishing up with things for the big D but wanted to let you know I got ole Marie out of the deal and she's starting to come back in action I'll post some pics sorry I haven't kept up just a lot of crazy the past year but getting better

Hey friend......yep, its been too long since we were talking and sending each other 580CK parts and surprises in the mail. Life seems to spin crazy for all of us at certain times, and its been pretty hectic for me too. Got a huge court case coming up that is consuming much of my time.......but when people try to screw you over, your problably like me and stand up for the fight. Hopefully I wlll be like Rocky Marciano and land them a few powerful upper cuts that knock their lights out. Glad you got thru your Big D, and can now walk out of the abysis and to brighter pastures.
Jusk......sorry to hear about you dealing with a crisis also, but great to know things are looking up for you.

Great to hear from all the good people on this site.....hopefully life slows down and gets brighter for all of us.

onemank6

68 good hearing out of you I'm finally bouncing back a little Marie just got herself a new spread to stretch out on it's been a hell of a year for sure thought at one point Marie would just be a memory but hopefully her spell is starting to take effect where it should be...how's ole greased lightning serving you these days sorry to hear about the court thing if I never see another courtroom it's fine with me money hungry fools anyways... talk to you soon....

1968 Case 580CK

68 good hearing out of you I'm finally bouncing back a little Marie just got herself a new spread to stretch out on it's been a hell of a year for sure thought at one point Marie would just be a memory but hopefully her spell is starting to take effect where it should be...how's ole greased lightning serving you these days sorry to hear about the court thing if I never see another courtroom it's fine with me money hungry fools anyways... talk to you soon....
Oneman........Good that Marie Lavaoue stuck by your side thru this and you both have a new spread to roost at. Yea, hopefully she will cast those spells on those who have been putting stumbling blocks in your path......and tell her cast a few spells my way on the evil ones I am facing. Greased Lightning has been in the "mellow-yellow" phase these past 6 months or so....just sleeping away under the tarps, except when I drive my spurs into her and let her run and move the fluids around every couple months.
See ya.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
I decided to try a hood instead of the full face mask and like the hood. My supplied air system is a big improvement over the 3M full mask and organic filters. DSCF5506.JPG

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
A bit off topic but I have posted some pictures previously of our little island place and the adventures of getting stuff back and forth. I still have a few smaller pieces to paint but out here on the island, there have been some other pressing projects that need to get done. We are having a replacement cottage built and needed some fill inside the foundation to bring the floor level up for concrete. Because of the difficulty in barging gravel over, we decided to try geofoam and got a load of it last week. It will go under the floor once the foundation walls are done and a heated slab will go on top. The other day, my builder finally managed to have all the stars line up and they got the concrete for the foundation walls placed. 28 yard, 3 trucks and a pumper. The pumper and the first concrete truck were loaded at 0630, arrived at 8am and another truck was brought over at 10am, then both empties went back together. A few hours later another concrete truck arrived and by 3pm, both that truck and the pump were washed out and getting loaded on the barge. Another hour and a half back to town and we were done. DSCF5518.JPG DSCF5522.JPG DSCF5527.JPG DSCF5528.JPG

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
The first picture is the tug and barge with the first load over. The second picture is the last truck and the pump finishing the job. The pump had to squeeze between a couple of trees because it was a smaller unit than when they did the footings. There wasn't room on the barge for a bigger pump and a concrete truck so they had to make do.

Back to tractor stuff....DSCF5525.JPG DSCF5529.JPG

onemank6

Jusk you've got a lot going on there on the island I bet its gonna be great when you get it done you've definitely got challenges most of us don't have with the barges on the island that's cool seeing the pics thanks for posting them...

It's been a while since we talked about it but have you put a name to your tractor yet just curious she must be worthy of that after all that work....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Glad you were able to get the concrete to you project. I'm almost embarrassed to say I could almost toss a rock from my house to hit one ready-mix outfit and there is another one in the other direction less than five miles away and not so much as a weight limited bridge between me and either of them!

Keep up the good work and posting!

Grady

Jusk, Nice progress. A couple questions - What is supplying the air to the supplied air hood and what are those - vertical stiffeners? rebar? - on the outside of your forms?