• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'68 580CK Project

1968 Case 580CK

Juskatla.....Good to hear your still kicking too, along with Xpac/1man. You said I was busy on the homefront too, well here is my 1927 Nash that I finally put on Ebay last week....auction ends tonight:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262748936825?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

If the link doesnt work, just go to ebay and type in 1927 Nash Special Six Cabriolet. Got her at a rediculously low price of $7500 Buy It Now.....losing my shirt on her, but after 7 years its time for the next guy to finish her up. You think it would fit on the little tug boat going over to your island? Just what you need over there......I-Ooooooga!
Dwight

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
68 Case, That's pretty cool. I can almost see you rolling along on the backroads in Virginia, past fields and pastures with horses watching you go by. You have done an awful lot of work and it must have been satisfying to have gotten this far. But, life goes on and sometimes we have to hand these projects on forward for someone else. I'm sure you find an enthusiast that will appreciate what you have done and continue the great work.

It would be a nice 'sunday' car here on the island, but this past week, it would need to have 6 wheel drive added. Its warmed up and snow is almost all gone now, but can't say it never snows here anymore. A few mild years and we forget the year it dumped 4 ft all at once.... All my little friends were waiting to greet me this morning when I opened the door. Bunch of freeloaders, but we love them all.

I know about how much $ that goes into a project, never mind all the labour that we never recover. On my rental refurb, I'm wondering if I will ever recoup the $ spent but it adds value to the property and will help get a good tenant. Cars are the same but someone will fall in love with yours and take it home. It would be nice to see it roll in when its all done. If you are looking for another project, I'll email you a couple of my M37 army trucks to finish. One is really enough and 4 is more than one lifetime can handle.

I'll be trying to get back to the tractor after some long neglected chores here and again after New Years when I'll be back to the little island again for some serious work.

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk.....Thanks for checking out my ole 27 Nash....yep, a ton of work involved, but I learned a ton about these old cars in the process. She is a kick to drive, but have only had her on our farm roads and thru the fields, pastures, horses and cows, but not on the real backroads yet. Yep, maybe time for the next guy to take the hand-off and finish her up properly. I have a ton of interest and "watchers" on ebay, and people from Germany, Czeck Rep., Canada, and many from the US......so, I might get a buyer tonight.

I would love to have an old M37 to work on, but the cost to ship it is crazy high....I bought one truck from Washington, and the cost to ship it to Va was $1300.......thats alot of money that could go into the restoration work itself.

Hope to see more pics and detailed descriptions of your upcoming work......you are creating quite an extensive "how to" documentary for the next guy who attempts this work in the future. Of course, its great to see other people reading our posts and getting some benefit on their projects.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Well, its time to restart this thread. Hard to understand where the year went since I got going on this. I have not done much for some months but getting back at it now. Don't take your health for granted, as things can change in a hurry and life's priorities with it. Once I can paint a few pieces, I should be able to get the tractor outside and started up for the first time. I got stalled by an early weather change and didn't get the fuel tank painted, so can't reinstall it yet.

Yesterday, I managed a few hours in the shop and got the fuel return lines put back on the engine, reconnected the steering hoses, power steering pump lines and the tubes from the shuttle valve to the shuttle filter and rad cooler up front. New hoses for the oil cooler to filter and a new filter element in place. Today, I tackled those small seals on the diff shaft that ride inside the right side gear. I had damaged one on the first attempt and had Dale send me a couple of replacements months ago. In order to get proper access, I pulled the right rear wheel so I could see to work. I needed to make a seal driver from some tube stock and a sleeve to slide over the splines. These little seals damage easily, so a light touch is good. All went to well an I reinstalled the diff lock assembly and hooked up the service brakes. Once I figure out the parking brake, I'll adjust the brakes per the manual. With all new linings, and all new oil seals to keep them dry, they will be as good as they get. Which isn't that good but at least you can stop eventually.... Since there is snow outside, I'll work on the instrument panel and get it ready to paint with everything else. I can't paint in the shop, so need some warmer weather so it can be done outside. I'll get some updated pictures posted in the next few days. I'm still feeling my way around the new format on this Forum and have to figure out the differences still.

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk......I agree with you.....I preferred the old H.E. website layout......a pain to get used to something new, when the old worked just fine. Regarding those seals, I believe you said that you locked the brakes on one side while you did the seal on the other side?......that greatly helps to center the shaft and prevent damage to those delicate seals. Another thing I did, which is probably just a waste of time, was to pac thick grease on the inside of the axle all over the inside of these seals......I think I just reached from the inside and put a super thick layer of grease, thinking it would help slow-down the thinner gear oils from getting to the seal and trying to leak out.

Your gonna love working on the instrument panel......lots of electrical wiring and surprises to make your mind go luney-tunes.....but your in good health now, so you can handle it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Glad you are back at it even if working a little slow. Better to take your time and fix the little mistakes now that to have to live with them down the road.

I retired back in April of 2015 and am just getting going on a little project I actually started a couple years before I retired. It just an engine for a 650 Yamaha that, when I started it, was going to go in the sidecar outfit I rode to work. A little this and a little of that and it got pushed to the back of the shop. As soon as I get the wrist pin keepers in I will put the head on it and then I have to decide what bike to put it in!

I have a feeling that 580 will be one of the best in the world when you have it back together. Be sure to get a video of first start-up and first lap around the yard for us!

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
68 Case, The locking up the brake assembly came from Melben who posted that on your thread way back whenever. It was pointed out to me by one of you guys here and I did the procedure a couple of times just to be sure. I also used your trick of some grease and it made the installation of those two little diff lock seals pretty easy. I spun a piece of steel tube in the lathe to dimension the inside enough that I could put a wrapper over the splines. Originally, I had put these little ones into the side gear on the bench and ruined one of them when putting it together. Live and learn. This time, they went on with the brakes assembled and I think it was easier tp get it right.
Kshansen, Thanks for the confidence but I should have been finished last summer.... If nothing else, I will be able to fix anything that comes up since I've had it all in my hand at some point. I worry a bit about some of the stuff that I've done but its to spec and will likely last my years before someone else has to tear it down. Funny, since I have been off the tools, I have hired a fellow to replaces some stairs and other jobs around my island place. The first thing he said when we were looking at the tractor was that he wanted to have first refusal on it when I decided to sell. He's very particular himself, so I take that as a big complement. Now if I could get the fuel tank painted and installed....

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Nice to see you back at it..
I was wondering.. With all the boat trips back & forth and folks seeing what your doing..
have you gotten any "requests" to work on anyone elses machine??
That usually happens to me when I'm out fixing a pump problem in the field [service call]
A neighbor will come by and say, oh, I have one that leaking or I have one that wont start..
I cant wait till she's up and running.. I think you'll find you have more "friends & neighbors" that you knew about,
once you have a fully functioning backhoe.. lol You might have to get a sticker that reads, "NOT FOR HIRE".. Lol
I have a friend that has a sticker on his truck that reads, " Yes this is my truck, NO I wont help you move".. Lol

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Pumpguy, On this small island, we have a couple of other backhoes an excavator and several dump trucks. There is also a fellow who is a 'mechanic' and all of these guys feel they are entitled to all the work that others on the island need done. The only problem is actually getting any of them to do something, or to do what you wanted done. The phrase 'Island Time' is a good fit here. I have some close neighbours that have us run their vehicles once in awhile and I take care of most small maintenance for them. When you live a long ways away from your vacation place and only come a few times a year, you need someone to look in and to keep up with any issues. My wife does the 'walk about' in my neighbourhood and I look after the little stuff. As for my machine, I got it for my own use and that is well known so don't get too many asking. I deflect most to those that are hiring out their equipment. Since my shop is usually full, I no longer get friends asking to use the space for a repair or for me to weld something for them. I have a sign that I got somewhere years ago that says: Labour Rate $35 hr, You watch $50 hr, You help $75 hr. Most get the message and see the humor in it. I have a JD dozer that I will eventually get in for some work. We used it to pull logs off the beach to feed the woodstove but it hasn't run in some years. Maybe next year....

1968 Case 580CK

Glad you are back at it even if working a little slow. Better to take your time and fix the little mistakes now that to have to live with them down the road.

I retired back in April of 2015 and am just getting going on a little project I actually started a couple years before I retired. It just an engine for a 650 Yamaha that, when I started it, was going to go in the sidecar outfit I rode to work. A little this and a little of that and it got pushed to the back of the shop. As soon as I get the wrist pin keepers in I will put the head on it and then I have to decide what bike to put it in!

I have a feeling that 580 will be one of the best in the world when you have it back together. Be sure to get a video of first start-up and first lap around the yard for us!

kshansen......Guess alot of us are into heavy equipment AND motorcycles. I have a few, and right now am stumped on a simple little 96 Honda XR100R that I am rebuilding. The lower timing chain sprockett is merely pressed on, and now it is off a few degrees....and I was wondering if that is still "OK" to run. If I advance the chain one tooth, it is a few degrees too far one way, and vice versa if I move the chain the other way. OK if I send you a Private Message about this?

kshansen

Occupation
I cant wait till she's up and running.. I think you'll find you have more "friends & neighbors" that you knew about,
once you have a fully functioning backhoe.. lol You might have to get a sticker that reads, "NOT FOR HIRE".. Lol
I have a friend that has a sticker on his truck that reads, " Yes this is my truck, NO I wont help you move".. Lol

Like they say a friend will help you move, but it takes a real good friend to help you move a body!

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
I spent a few hours in the shop today and managed to get the new battery box dry fitted and now ready to remove, clean and paint. I plan to install a battery switch with new Ancor 2/0 tinned battery cables and now can figure out the best place to mount that in a convenient location. The new battery box is a bit taller than the original to better accommodate the large industrial battery that I use in place of the two original six volt setup. DSCF5390.JPG DSCF5389.JPG

This is my first attempt at posting pictures with the new forum format so we'll see how it turns out.

kshansen

Occupation
You do some nice work! Do you have a break for that sheet metal work? I only wish my welding looked that nice.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Khansen, I wish I had a shear and brake to do the bends in this heavy a gauge material. I have a small cheap one for 16ga but for the battery box, I made a cardstock template of what I wanted and had the local fab shop knock it out for me. I did weld in the side panel and am happy with the results. I'm no welder, so the results can vary a lot. I got lucky on this. Once it warms outside a bit, I'll clean all the pieces and give them a couple of coats of epoxy primer, followed by the orange Imron topcoat. I still have to fit the small tool box at the end of the battery box and make a bracket to hold that end to one of the brake cover bolts. I may give the inside of the box a coat of bed liner to slow down the deterioration from battery acid fumes, rust or whatever destroyed the bottom of the original box. I'm trying to stay with the original shapes as I know that the loader frame will fit on without any interference. The fasteners you can see and quite a few more that you can't will get a touch up of primer and the orange once I'm happy with everything and ready to put the loader frame back on.

I'm going to take a bit of time and disassemble the instrument panel and figure out what I need for wire to build all new harnesses. The manual has a wiring diagram but there have been lots of modifications on mine that I will remove or improve to get all the functionality without the fire hazard. Lots of fun to keep me busy.

One day at a time....

Metalman 55

We fixed up the non functioning dash panel in our old 580 Super D many years ago. The instrument panel has ceased working when we purchased the machine & like yours had many repairs & modifications done to it over the years, so we just cut out an aluminum plate & installed the bare necessities in it & it worked fine after that. Seems to me a new instrument panel was maybe $1500 at that time, so we opted for this option. We have since sold the machine. 20131025_110144.jpg

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Metalman, I'd be doing a new dash panel if the old 580CK has a similar section, but its contoured to the rear of the fuel tank like the older farm tractors were made. Late this afternoon, I pulled all the gauges on it and separated the wiring harness at the stock plugs. There are a few extra holes that I will patch weld, a few dents to straighten and then some sanding and prep for primer and paint. The harness is simple enough once its separated but all the wires are brittle and a fire waiting to happen. I like circuit protection, so will be adding some fuses when I put it back together.Your panel has everything that is needed and room for more if you were a gauge junky. Mine will have the stock tach, fuel, shuttle clutch pressure and ammeter. I'd like an oil pressure gauge and a coolant temperature gauge instead of idiot lights. As there isn't much room left for these, they would need to be mounted on a small add on panel below the stock one.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Nice CLEAN look metalman..
Don't forget to take pics, Juskatla.. Theres just something about a before & after pic of gauges & wireing..?? I don't know what it is, but I like it.. I guess it just ties it ALL TOGATHER?? Like a new haircut..

Metalman 55

Metalman, I'd be doing a new dash panel if the old 580CK has a similar section, but its contoured to the rear of the fuel tank like the older farm tractors were made. Late this afternoon, I pulled all the gauges on it and separated the wiring harness at the stock plugs. There are a few extra holes that I will patch weld, a few dents to straighten and then some sanding and prep for primer and paint. The harness is simple enough once its separated but all the wires are brittle and a fire waiting to happen. I like circuit protection, so will be adding some fuses when I put it back together.Your panel has everything that is needed and room for more if you were a gauge junky. Mine will have the stock tach, fuel, shuttle clutch pressure and ammeter. I'd like an oil pressure gauge and a coolant temperature gauge instead of idiot lights. As there isn't much room left for these, they would need to be mounted on a small add on panel below the stock one.

Forgot to mention.............your battery box refurbishment & painting work look pristine...........keep up the good work!!

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the complements, I just hope that it all works and runs well after all the time and trouble.

Here are a couple of 'before' pictures for pumpguy. I didn't bother with a shot of the long harness wires, as they are a sorry brittle mess. One of the things I didn't notice was that I don't have temperature gauge as shown in both my Service Manual and my Parts Book. I have a Case ammeter installed and it look like its original. The wiring diagrams don't show that and now I'm wondering where its supposed to be wired. If anyone has a diagram showing an ammeter for these old tractors, I'd appreciate it if you could post it here. I'll trace the wires back to the regulator and see how it was dome on this one but there are a few mods that don't make sense and I'd rather be sure its correct. There were no fuses in the existing harness, the fuse holder was there but empty. I'll either put anew one in or go to breakers separated into a few circuits.

It will be some time before this goes back together, but I'll post the 'after' pictures then.DSCF5393.JPG DSCF5397.JPG

1968 Case 580CK

Jusk......Great work! I think I see Dale's signature on that nice orange battery box lid. The one I got from him was flawless and Case Orange, and I had to paint it Case Yellow to match my rig. I still want to make a small tool box to go under the small lid in the back......or, it might be about the right size to slide in one ice cold brew. Were you gonna configure a small box under it?