• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

655B John Deere

Brendon Benton

Occupation
Substation Engineer
Looking at a 655B John Deere dozer. Has 2700 hours on it. It seems to be in good shape. Guy wants 15k for it. Is that a decent deal? Is this the right place to post this? It's a dozer but has a bucket on it.

Welder Dave

It's a track loader not a dozer but I wouldn't believe the 2700 hours. Being hydrostatic pay to have a JD dealer or component shop fully inspect it and take oil samples of the engine, hydraulic and especially hydrostatic reservoirs. If something in the hydrostat goes bad, it could cost more than the machine is worth to fix it. They were a good machine but also see if parts are still available. JD tends to stop producing parts sooner than other manufacturers.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
You definitely want the hydrostats checked. The trunnion caps on those Sunstrand pump/motors like to come loose and leak as well a create other issues.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I would agree w/ the oil sampling.. BUT.. that takes weeks..
& a seller isn't going to wait around for a "maybe"..
Its best to find a JD mechanic that does inspections.. a couple hundred bucks WELL SPENT..

Welder Dave

Do an inspection, pay a small deposit and base the final deal on nothing major with the oil samples.

Brendon Benton

Occupation
Substation Engineer
Do the hour meters go out on these pretty often? It seems to be working right now. The guy is actually pretty cool. I brought up oil samples and he said I should take them and he doesn't mind waiting. He doesn't need to sell it he said. So I'm pretty lucky. I'm calling a JD mechanic tomorrow to get a appointment set up.

Welder Dave

It's roughly 30 years old so unless it was owned by a very rich little old lady who only drove it on Sunday, it has way more than 2700 hours. Hours don't mean that much anyway. How it was maintained and operated is much more important.