• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

650J Blade Ball and Socket Joint

John Deer

I just purchased a John Deere 650J LGP. The 6 bolts that secure the retaining ring to the blade ball and socket joint work loose after only a few hours use. The manual says not to use to use anti seize (Locktite) on the bolts. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have suggestions on how to get the bolts to stay tight?

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
Just a thought, anti-seize (never seize) isn't lock tite. If it was me I'd clean up the threads on the bolts and the tapped holes REAL clean use a wire brush and acetone and Locktite the heck out of them and use new lock washers if they will fit with no interference. Only my opinion on what I'd do. Clyde

carlsharp

I'm gonna kinda repeat blademan here, with a little more emphasis. :salute

Not only is anti-seize NOT locktite, it's COMPLETELY the opposite! :)

Be sure everything is super clean, esp the mating surfaces. Any dirt/paint/rocks/burrs/pulled holes/etc will compromise the union. Use locktite primer. Be sure the ring is not warped. Be sure it's not worn out and hammering itself apart. Be sure the bolts are using most of the threads in the holes but not bottoming out. Adjust the length with HARDENED grade 8+ washers.

Buy NEW grade 8+ bolts.

Use a torque wrench. Torque values exist for a reason, just enough stretch for maximum hold. Too much wreaks the bolt or pulls the threads and not enough comes loose.

I'd like to hear from the REAL mechanics on HEF- tell me what I missed...

JDOFMEMI

I would add that it is likely there is a problem with the joint. When they wear out, and get excessive slop, one of the first clues is the bolts come loose all the time. Cleaned up, new bolts, proper torque MAY solve it, but keep an eye out for further problems.

While you are doing it, I think but am not sure that the joint will have shims in it. They may need to have some removed or more added to get the clearances right.

Maybe a JD mechanic can chime in with more detail.

buckfever

Not a jd mech. but I have a 650 and they do have shims on the ball socket. If it has some slop in it we take out a shim or two. Once your down to no shims left time to breakout the wallet and rebuild the ball and socket.

kevinc1650

Your socket might be wore out on you blade. I work for a big rental company and just had this problem about a month ago. The bolts started come loose and the blade kept popping of the ball. J/D makes a field kit that has a sleave, shims, and bolts. That kits not that bad to buy, but the kicker was buying the tool to put it on with. The tool is what cost. There are ways around the tool to put it on. I started with the whole blade off on the first round. (3hrs knocking out frozen pins and the kit was for a 750 dozier) I drove 2 hrs back to J/D and got the right kit and was able to do it with 1 hr. I will look tomorrow to see what I paid for the kit w/ tool. I think it was around $600. and I think it was around $400 with the tool. I got the tool in the truck and can take a picture of it, but you don't really need.

Davvinciman

Occupation
Operating engineer and business owner
If the bolts are used to backing out because the threads have gotten sloppy, they won't stay in even with Loctite. Tap them to the next larger size and THEN Loctite the heck out of them.

John Deer

Update - the bolt threads were worn on the upper part where the retainer ring has been slipping on them. The threads are still tight in the socket. I plan to get new bolts as Carl Sharp recommended, check the shim spacing and locktite them back to spec torque. If this doesn't work, I will try the kit kevininc1650 recommended. I will post my results to assist anyone else that might have this issue. It will be a couple of weeks before I can do this work though. Thank all of you for your help on this!!!

John Deer

Final Update - I removed one thickness of shims leaving two thicknesses, replaced the bolts with new ones and reinstalled the new bolts with blue locktite. It is fixed! Thank you all for your help. This forum is great!!!