• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

644 Highlander II transmission oil.

Kiteman

Occupation
Framing Carpenter
What type of oil does this transmission use? I don't know the transmission type. It has a JD engine. The fluid looks the same as the hydraulic fluid, but the manual seems unclear to me, like it uses motor oil 5w-20. That just doesn't seem right. Would the universal tractor trans/hyd. fluid work? Sorry for being so dumb about this, but I've had this for several years and it has finally gotten down to the add mark.

joestewart

I thought the owners manual said that it takes "C3 transmission fluid"? The transmission dipstick on my 644 also says "C3 transmission fluid". I finally found this fluid at NAPA in the 5 gallon container. Somewhere on the pail, it said that it meets C3 requirements. This topic is buried somewhere in my post of a couple of years back:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...w-much-does-it-weigh&highlight=lull+644+weigh

Kiteman

Occupation
Framing Carpenter
Thanks, I'll read through that and check the dipstick Monday. Maybe I'll copy that page from the manual and post it here. It reads like greek to me.

Kiteman

Occupation
Framing Carpenter
So here's more info on my Lull's tranny. Ok, it's not Greek, it's German. There's nothing on the dipstick but the full and add marks. Hope the pics are helpful. DSCN0463_01.JPGDSCN0464_01.JPGDSCN0462_01.JPG

joeexotic

Does anyone know what fluid goes in the wet brakes for the lull 644 highlander? Hydraulic fluid? Mine are getting very noisy!

I thought the owners manual said that it takes "C3 transmission fluid"? The transmission dipstick on my 644 also says "C3 transmission fluid". I finally found this fluid at NAPA in the 5 gallon container. Somewhere on the pail, it said that it meets C3 requirements. This topic is buried somewhere in my post of a couple of years back:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...w-much-does-it-weigh&highlight=lull+644+weigh

joestewart

Does anyone know what fluid goes in the wet brakes for the lull 644 highlander? Hydraulic fluid? Mine are getting very noisy!

JD Hy-Guard 2.4 pints, add 3 oz. friction modifier per hub. This is per page 27 of the Owner's Manual. (Note: Owner's manual is free pdf on my google site https://sites.google.com/site/deerebrown/david-brown-info-ii/other-free-pdf-manuals). For the last several years, I have been using iso46 hydraulic fluid plus the friction modifier, which you can buy in little tubes from NAPA - I think the friction modifier is the same stuff used on limited slip differentials). The hub seals on my 644 leak like crazy, so I have to constantly add fluid. Sometimes I get lazy and don't add the modifier - results in brake chatter and noise. Hope this helps.

joeexotic

JD Hy-Guard 2.4 pints, add 3 oz. friction modifier per hub. This is per page 27 of the Owner's Manual. (Note: Owner's manual is free pdf on my google site https://sites.google.com/site/deerebrown/david-brown-info-ii/other-free-pdf-manuals). For the last several years, I have been using iso46 hydraulic fluid plus the friction modifier, which you can buy in little tubes from NAPA - I think the friction modifier is the same stuff used on limited slip differentials). The hub seals on my 644 leak like crazy, so I have to constantly add fluid. Sometimes I get lazy and don't add the modifier - results in brake chatter and noise. Hope this helps.

Says cant download all pages. Would love to download that service manual you have as well. Getting so hard to find things for these older lifts.

joestewart

OK, I just downloaded the first section of the owner's manual and it worked fine for me. Can you try a different browser etc etc? If it still doesn't work for you, I'll put them on a floppy disc and send them to you through snail mail.