• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

631D's Purchased - What to Watch For?

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
We recently acquired 3 631D's and a D9G to push load with in an effort to get more competitive on our per yard cost. Generally speaking the machines are in decent shape, but I wanted to ask the forum what things that we should be aware of and to keep a tight grip on while running these units. They're all 24W series and up so all mid to early 1980's models. Hour meters all long ago were broken best I can tell, but the necks are weld free and generally tight. So far I've only had to replace a hose or two, but I get the feeling there could be injectors or fuel pumps in the future on at least one of the units based on how its running. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Questionable wizard

Oil sample the transmissions and differential sections. Can give eminent warning of problems. If nothing else, check the magnets on the drain plugs. Hold a running shop vac hose to the fill opening and you can take out the drain plug and lose very little.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Oil sample the transmissions and differential sections. Can give eminent warning of problems. If nothing else, check the magnets on the drain plugs. Hold a running shop vac hose to the fill opening and you can take out the drain plug and lose very little.
I think that we’ll give this a shot. I like the idea using the shop vac. Will have to give that a shot.

Tinkerer

Check the wide open throttle rpm's.
I pushed 631D's a lot of miles on haul roads and in dump sites. The mechanics found that several of them were not running WOT because of throttle linkages needing adjustment.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Check the wide open throttle rpm's.
I pushed 631D's a lot of miles on haul roads and in dump sites. The mechanics found that several of them were not running WOT because of throttle linkages needing adjustment.

Thank you for this info. I have to have the tach repaired on one unit as it stands now so we'll dig into it. before I dig through the manual I bought do you know the correct range of RPM's?