• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

624H coolant in oil

mattyt1984

I bought a deere 6024 h and I got it running had a little miss so I shut it down because I did not see coolant in it. I put water into the radiator and noticed the engine oil rose up on the dip stick. With in minutes the water I put in the cooling system ended up in the engine oil. IS there anything common on this that would cause such a massive leak from coolant into engine oil??

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is the misfire new? The oil/coolant mix start a the same time as the miss? Did it smoke when it missed? What color was the smoke and did it have a fuel smell or a sweet smell? That may give a clue as to which cylinder may be a problem. There is only several places for the transfer to happen.
1. Engine oil cooler (which I would check first)
2. Head gasket/cracked head
3. Piston Liner (either electrolysis or liner o-rings)
4. And very, very rare but I seen it once is the water pump being shot and wearing a hole in the timing gear cover. That was a water pump with a metal impeller, though most of those engines did have plastic impellers).

mattyt1984

Im not sure about miisfire as I bought it like this at an auction. It has the coolant drained with clean engine oil. No smoke out exhaust but a little bit out of the breather when it started. Whatever it is leaks like a gallon of coolant into oil in a few minutes.

mattyt1984

I removed cylinder head today and definitely a major issue cylinders 2 3 and 4 are all at top dead center. Number two cylinder must have broken connecting rod. Will the oil pan come off this without removing the engine looks like at minimum I would have to remove the fuel tank?

heymccall

On my 544G,H, &J machines, it's easiest to just take out the engine.
Disconnect shaft from motor to converter, rest is straight forward (mounts, hoses, wiring, ac comp, fan drive pump, etc.)