• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

619C turbo swap

Sauce

Greetings. I am attempting to get an old 619 cable scraper running again. Its powered by a D340T I believe. When I acquired the scraper the turbo was stuck and the fuel system was full of algae. I have gotten the fuel system pretty well cleaned up. After dissambly of the turbocharger I found the exhaust wheel has been destroyed by chewing on the rust of the exhaust housing. This turbo uses a two port exhaust manifold with a bypass valve, basically a large early version of an internal/external wastegate.
Anyway that specific turbo whether in parts or whole I have found is pretty much unobtainable. I had an old 977 out back with a locked up 3306 with after inspection a functional turbo. I was able to mount the 977 turbo on the 619's d340 without much effort at all surprisingly everything bolted right up. I made a block off plate for the turbo bypass portion of the manifold. And everything else appears all good.
Now my question is, before putting this scraper to work what does the collective wisdom of HEF say about this swap? I have installed a manifold pressure gauge. What is acceptable manifold pressure for a d340? Will I have problems with excessive exhaust gas temps? The exhaust housing size on the 977 turbo is considerably smaller than the original. I believe the d340 and the 3306 both displace around 10 liters despite one having 6 and the other 4 cylinders.
Thanks for any thoughts or advice you may have for me

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I dont see a problem w/ it..
It bolted up & u have a boost gauge on it.. just keep an eye on the gauge & see if u like the power..
If the power seems low, look at the gauge.. if the gauge is low, u know what the problem is..
Just check the throttle on the inj. pump for FULL travel before condemning the turbo..
Good luck w/ your project & let us know if it worked out..