• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

60s Michigan 125a parts

Dsperaw

Looking to purchase an old Michigan wheel loader. Their steering is gone in it. Thinking it’s a leak in the steering cylinder. Wondering if anyone might have a parts book or be able to help find the part number for replacement. It’s a rear steer axle so there’s only a single cylinder coming off the steer gear.

I have included pictures of it.
Thanks.

036FAB5A-9F99-4A5A-8619-0065168BE828.jpeg 99B89A69-9669-4463-9DFF-2B702C52F2C5.jpeg C93CEC87-502C-4AE6-9DAB-B5DCC3ABBEA8.jpeg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Best advice I can offer would be to do a Google search on "Vickers Power steering cylinder" Been many years since I worked on one but I'm sure that is what you have there. Try emailing some of the places that show pictures of the ones that look like yours and see what they say.

Might be worth your time to see if there is anyone in your area that can actually test the steering pump to be sure that is not the problem.

One problem we had on some of those cylinders was on haul trucks they sometimes developed wear near the center of the cylinder due to spending much time going straight, would not expect that to be as much of a problem with a loader.

Just curious, what does this machine have for a steering pump? Have you checked to see if there was oil in the reservoir? It could be a small belt driven pump.

Dsperaw

Just curious, what does this machine have for a steering pump? Have you checked to see if there was oil in the reservoir? It could be a small belt driven pump.
Not sure. It’s not my machine yet. Looking to buy it as a backup to my truck v plow. We are in the mountains of Colorado and expect the snow to pile up too high in places and thought the loader would help clean everything up. It’s $2000 with all bad tires and no steering. Engine sounds great though!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure. It’s not my machine yet. Looking to buy it as a backup to my truck v plow. We are in the mountains of Colorado and expect the snow to pile up too high in places and thought the loader would help clean everything up. It’s $2000 with all bad tires and no steering. Engine sounds great though!
Well before spending that kind of money I do some searching on line to see if you can locate some manuals for that machine. It's not like there will be any dealer support for it and other than a small hand full of people on this forum I doubt you will find anyone that worked on on of those when close to new.

Heck it was probably ten years old when I started pulling wrenches and I retired after forty five years over five years back!