• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

6000m loss of brakes sometimes at idle

I just recently purchased a 1991 skytrak 6000m. I'm having a really hard time finding parts. I found service maneul thru Google books store and parts diagram but no place to order parts. All the light bulbs on dash are missing except the auto level. However my main concern is the loss of brakes. They work great when the pressure is there and not at all, randomly usually at idle. Have to hit N and rev motor to regain brakes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Looking at the brake accumulator tank and pressure release valve once I get in the shop?. Apart from that the crab steering doesnt work, I need to order hydraulic filter, the dash warning lights, a couple of cab fans, and transmission temp sensorScreenshot_20190922-193425_Gallery.jpg . The heater fans sound desperate also, but other than that everything 20190922_152138.jpg 20190922_152138.jpg is in great shape. Had a close call with the brakes not working, took a semi wrecker to pull out of pond. It almost made it out on it's own, but I didnt want to push my luck and waited on wrecker

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190922-130931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190922-130931_Chrome.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20190922-232532_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190922-232532_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

dsaw

I picked up my 6000m about 2 months ago. I had the same brake accumulator issue many have had. Other than that, it doesn’t have any real issues. Today I took a stab at recharging it, and so far, it’s working. I first tried putting some air in it to see if it would hold any pressure, but it wouldn’t take any. So I disconnected the accumulator and drained it of hydraulic fluid, then tried again to fill it with air and it held 100 psi. I happened to have a nitrogen cylinder on hand for work, so I jury-rigged a filler hose (hydraulic hose to a solid brass filler nozzle) and pressured it up to 600-650 psi. I used it for about an hour afterwards, and brakes worked great. Before, they would occasionally work, but at several critical junctures I’ve had to rely on the parking break as a working brake (almost drove through my pole barn wall). Around here, you can rent a nitrogen cylinder for a fill charge of about $35 and then $0.30/day. The expensive part if you don’t have one is a high pressure regulator. I forgot what mine cost, but it was in the neighborhood of $250-$400 bucks from the dealer; probably a lot cheaper online. Jury’s out on how long the repair will hold.

Mechanicsville804

I picked up my 6000m about 2 months ago. I had the same brake accumulator issue many have had. Other than that, it doesn’t have any real issues. Today I took a stab at recharging it, and so far, it’s working. I first tried putting some air in it to see if it would hold any pressure, but it wouldn’t take any. So I disconnected the accumulator and drained it of hydraulic fluid, then tried again to fill it with air and it held 100 psi. I happened to have a nitrogen cylinder on hand for work, so I jury-rigged a filler hose (hydraulic hose to a solid brass filler nozzle) and pressured it up to 600-650 psi. I used it for about an hour afterwards, and brakes worked great. Before, they would occasionally work, but at several critical junctures I’ve had to rely on the parking break as a working brake (almost drove through my pole barn wall). Around here, you can rent a nitrogen cylinder for a fill charge of about $35 and then $0.30/day. The expensive part if you don’t have one is a high pressure regulator. I forgot what mine cost, but it was in the neighborhood of $250-$400 bucks from the dealer; probably a lot cheaper online. Jury’s out on how long the repair will hold.
it sounds like you have a leak and the nitrogen will keep leaking out right?