• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

5h-2471 cat cement

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
I am on my last can of 5H-2471 CAT cement, went to get 3 cans as I always do and I was told it's no longer available. Been using it for over 25 years, I have not seen anything comparable to the CAT cement for gasket adhesive. Anything good seems to get discontinued.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have not used the Loctite 30540 mentioned by SchuLace, but back at Tom V, if you're talking about that Cat green colored contact cement in a can with an applicator brush, I feel your pain, I was sorely (and still am) dissapointed that it's no longer available. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :Banghead

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
The Loctite 30540 works alsmost as good as 5h-2471 cat cement, Cat has discontinued almost all of its cat branded chemicals even antisieze. dealers now sell loctite products.

Last edited:

d9gdon

The Loctite 30540 works alsmost as good as 5h-2471 cat cement, Cat has discontinued almost all of its cat branded chemicals even antisieze. dealers now sell loctite products.

Crap, they had some really good products too. Their red silicone was the best. Something was in it that made it dry really fast. That green colored cam and follower lube was the best also.

d9gdon

Thanks PAcattech for the heads up on the camshaft lube.

On the gasket cement, I use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive or what we call elephant snot. It works great and dries very fast.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Oh, man! - This is end-of-the-world news! Everyone knows that 5H-2471 Cat green gasket cement, held the world together!! How many of you have fond memories of trying to get that stuff off old gasket surfaces!
It was like the gaskets had been welded on! Chisels were needed to get the stuff off! I don't know how many special tools I made up from broken power-hacksaw blades, to get every last bit of 5H-2471 off those gasket surfaces!
Does this mean that all Cat engines will now leak and dribble like those Green Leakers?! :eek:

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
gasgacinch is nowhere as good as the cat cement,used lots of it on vw stuff, it does clean up easier. But cat cement would keep a gasket where you wanted it , no matter what. I have half a can left, hope it lasts , dont use it that often.

scfparts

Might have found 5H2471 online

gasgacinch is nowhere as good as the cat cement,used lots of it on vw stuff, it does clean up easier. But cat cement would keep a gasket where you wanted it , no matter what. I have half a can left, hope it lasts , dont use it that often.

I was just looking for the 5H2471 today, and came across this thread. I did some further research and found that MetalCote has a product offered in the EU that has this same old Cat part number on it. It seems to be the same stuff everyone has been looking for. I am going to buy some and see what comes of it.

Link to MetalCote product:
http://metalcote.eu/cment.html

Bluox

I was just looking for the 5H2471 today, and came across this thread. I did some further research and found that MetalCote has a product offered in the EU that has this same old Cat part number on it. It seems to be the same stuff everyone has been looking for. I am going to buy some and see what comes of it.

Link to MetalCote product:
http://metalcote.eu/cment.html

It's still for sale at the Cat store.

bob