• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580M transmission

GRADYK

i have a 2004 580m case backhoe. having problems with the transmission . thats what i figure. i can warm it up for 20 min then start moving around and it seems the transmission is slipping or hardly ant movement when backing up. if i drive it for 2 to 3 miles it seems to be okay in all gears. when it cools down for an hour it goes back to hardley any movement. any ideas. i am going to start with filter, oil ,and cleaning the screen,

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF GRADYK!
Love to help, But we need to know if it is powershift or shuttleshift + how many hours are showing on it?

GRADYK

It is a shuttle shift not a power shift it has a carraro tlb1 transmission in it about 4525 hours on it,4 speed forward 4 speed reverse. Sorry for the delay went to a nephews hockey game. Any other info u need

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The Carraro shuttles are usually very reliable. It probably will be good to do the oil & filter/screen espeacially if it has not been done in a while.

The problem you have could be a control valve problem that I discuss here - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?26125-570lxt-transmission-fluid

This problem sometimes stops the machine from driving or makes it slip a little as the modulator controls the pressure. I have seen the circlip problem affect machines both ways. I have also seen the oil go very "honey" like if not been changed for a long time, with alot of sludge like material in it that seemed to cause some drive problems. New oil & filter with a screen clean helps in this situation, but whether yours is that bad ?? :beatsme

Charge pumps can also be a problem - but they usually get worse when hot...... pressure & flow testing would confirm the problem.
Hope this helps.

GRADYK

Thanks alrman I am going to drain and clean tommorow to start do u know where I could download a carraro service manual for a manual shift TLB1

GRADYK

Alrman I just read that tread u had with codmech and one thing caught my ear was about the diff lock I just remembered my diff lock is not working either . He had metioned a broken wire also. Some good info in that tread. Thanks again I will drop a line tommorow when I get done thanks