• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580M Fan Belt Not Tracking

Bootheal

‘You guys are amazing’

Read this in a post earlier and totally agree.

Next issue: serpentine belt doesn’t stay put in the correct grooves of the fan pulley.

This was a new belt maybe couple years ago. I didn’t replace the idler but probably should have. Didn’t feel or look bad.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

mekanik

Looking at the pictures the gap between the tensioner lever arm and its mount looks wider at the top.
It might be the picture but that is how tensioners wear. I suspect that is your problem.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Have seen the arms on tensioners twist over time.

I would start by checking and verifying that all pullies are in alignment and are square at all possible angles.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Two most commons causes as mentioned previously, 1) fan tower bearings shot causing misalignment of fan pulley, seen it more than once, and 2) worn tensioner pivot causing tensioner pulley misalignment.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Bought my last tensioner off of Amazon, think it was 30 bucks.
Pretty good unit.

Bote

Tensioner replacement - 15 minutes
Tensioner and belt replacement - 3 hours

A bad tensioner will destroy the belt. My Case 450C dozer has the same setup and I replaced the tensioner when it started getting slightly wiggly just because I didn't want to replace the belt.