• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580K CAS Detent Housing Broken

Ed1

Alright boys, this sucks. Pulling the spool out the bottom doesn't work. It bottoms out against the back of the motor with an inch or so still in the valve. I don't think I can twist the valve enough just taking out the bolts, I'd have to disconnect all the plumbing. I can not unscrew the bottom half no matter what I try, it just slips round and round. So i can't pull it out the top. I'm out of ideas.

Ed1

Sorry, they were posted earlier in the thread

Attachments

• 20190707_154657.jpg
    20190707_154657.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190707_185550.jpg
    20190707_185550.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 17

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Your valve is mounted on the firewall correct? If so you will have to remove valve to repair the detent cap because you can't get spool out, as you have found out. I was thinking valve was mounted below floor plate, some of the early ones had loader valve mounted on firewall.

Ed1

Not really on the firewall, it's bolted to the side I think. I bought a 1" pipe nibb and took the threads off with a grinder to try and jam it in and twist the broken piece out, but it wouldn't go over the spring.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You could remove the engine, with that out of the way the spool would just come straight out ......:rolleyes:
I did say this may test your mechanical skills..... & we haven't even got to the detent balls yet.

Ed1

I was thinking I could just drill a half inch hole in the back of the motor to give me the extra clearance, then just fill it with JB Weld after. What do you think?? o_O

I already did the balls. The trick is have your Allen in the cap ready to screw in and stick your index finger up inside. If you lay the tube a little sideways and just drop the balls in, once you start tightening the cap they'll spread out. :cool:

Hobbytime

I was thinking I could just drill a half inch hole in the back of the motor to give me the extra clearance, then just fill it with JB Weld after. What do you think?? o_O

I already did the balls. The trick is have your Allen in the cap ready to screw in and stick your index finger up inside. If you lay the tube a little sideways and just drop the balls in, once you start tightening the cap they'll spread out. :cool:
drill holes in a perfectly good engine ??? im not as experienced as the guys helping you already,but thats a bad idea...just get use to the idea the valve has to come out and thats the pile of $hit you stepped in, we all have our piles that we stepped in or will someday..hey its only time to do it right and not cause other issues while fixing one....hopefully you got a cool spot to work with this heat..

Ed1

You do know I we were both joking right Hobbytime??? Although nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, people are confused what bathroom to go in, so.....

Guys, I'm gonna unbolt the valve and super pray I have enough slack in the plumbing to just rotate it enough to slide the spool out. I'm not happy about it, but it is the only option.

Hobbytime

You do know I we were both joking right Hobbytime??? Although nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, people are confused what bathroom to go in, so.....

Guys, I'm gonna unbolt the valve and super pray I have enough slack in the plumbing to just rotate it enough to slide the spool out. I'm not happy about it, but it is the only option.
you would be surprised at what some people do when it comes to repairs or simple maintenance..there was a thread on some forum, may even be this one that some dumbass filled his ford mustang engine with water and ran it , thinking it will clean out all the sludge, and it was verified he did it on a ford forum.( needless to say after the engine seized up tight he decided to sell off the car).sooooo....with that, when someone even jokes on crazy actions, one has to ponder if they really are joking...;)

Reactions: Ed1

Ed1

Hey guys. Well getting that valve in an orientation to pull that spool is a big a pain in the a$$ as I thought. There isn't enough slack in the metal lines to just let it rotate, so off they've come, well, two of the four are off so far, it got dark and I gave up. I only found three mounting bolts, is that correct or is a fourth hiding somewhere?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You have removed the plate behind the foot pedals haven't you?

Ed1

You mean the swing pedals, or brake pedals? If you mean the brake pedals, I didn't know there was a plate there to take out.