• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580ck brake shaft seized

Brado4life

Hello everyone. I purchased a 1970 580ck loader/extendahoe with a Gannon.

I don't believe the previous owner did maintenance on it and I want to make it safe to ride before I rebuild the hydraulic seals and get to work. The loader subframe/backhoe loading frame that has 8 bolts threw the axle only had 3 and underneath has two, only had 1. Also no retaining pins for the two big pins that keep the backhoe mounted. I have already got the 8", 5/8" grade 8 bolts to keep the subframes mounted to axle. I need to rebuild the manual pump for power steering (leaking), rebuild all cylinder seals as they leak like a sieve, fix the brakes, check/flush/replace fluids and filters. So I have some work to do.

My brake pedals on the right side were seized. I followed the linkages, cleaning and greasing them so everything rotates well. Where I have run into an issue is the lower brake lever shaft(part #19 in picture) is pretty much seized. I can push really hard on the pedals and move it some, but it's so difficult, it will not return to normal even with the lever return springs. I have removed the retaining clips for the shaft. I tried pumping grease into the zerks, but grease won't go in.

I have sprayed the shaft with Blaster PB Penetrant to see if that will help. Anybody have this issue or know how to get the shaft moving more freely? I've wondered about heating it up, but I only have access to a small propane bottle with a torch on top of it. Also thought about pounding the shaft out with a sledge hammer since I have removed the retaining clips and trying to clean what becomes exposed.

Can anybody help me with ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-103103.png
    Screenshot_20200501-103103.png
    558.1 KB · Views: 10

Truck Shop

Heat-if there is nothing to melt or burn around that area also, if you try to drive it out use a brass drift/punch. Don't use a hammer directly on the end of shaft, hitting it directly can swell
the end of the shaft. Once you have it warmed up try pumping some grease through the zerks.

Brado4life

Thanks Truck Shop. Heated it up and it came out easily. I was able to then clean it all up and the shaft housing too and reinstall it. Turns with my fingers now!