• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580c steering?

ghitch75

need to here from the 580c gang.......does your steering get stiff with a load in the loader?.....my old pump gave up and i got a new 1 and it went for 2 months then started leakin' and was sent a new 1 and the new 1 steers hard when loaded......when it's cold it's better than when warmed up....

thanks

ghitch75

ok how tuff is it to rebuild the steering valve?.......now the new pump worked for 20 min's have hard steering again.....i rebuilt my old pump and it seemed to do fine for about 2 hours and it's hard to steer and it doesn't act like it's pumping....when i turn the wheel with the tires off the ground and it hits full right or left the pump dosen't lug the engine down?.....really doesn't sound like it's doing anything......i can't figure it out?.....hat to spend a $1000.00 for a new steering valve if it's just something with the pumps?

thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I checked out the steering valve at the Case website, looks like a gearotor type orbital motor. And it does have vanes that could be worn out that may be causing your problem. Have you checked to see if the parts are available to rebuild it? Looks like a lot of little parts in there, but I think I might give rebuild a try.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Does the steering wheel stop at full lock or does it keep turning?
Before you play with the orbital (which don't recondition very well ), check your king pins. Sometimes the torrington bearings break up & jam up the steering.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Does the steering wheel stop at full lock or does it keep turning?
Before you play with the orbital (which don't recondition very well ), check your king pins. Sometimes the torrington bearings break up & jam up the steering.

Good point alrman. I've seen kingpin bearings worn clean through until the kingping is wearing into the axle housing as well, all from the lack of a little grease now and then. I haven't tried to re-con one of those orbital units, and there is normally quite a few pieces to it, could easily be a component that requires great patience working on it. If it turns out his orbital is the problem and requires replacement, would you still attempt to repair it first? Just thinking ahead here. :)

ghitch75

it turns to the stops and stop.....the king pins are tight and well greased.......with the engine off the wheel turns hard.....with the engine running @ idle it turns just as hard as if the engine is off......when it's at full throttle it acts like it gets a little easier to turn......in the manual it says the pump should be at 2000psi at full throttle.....i'm going to put a gauge on it today to see what it is.....

thanks for the replys

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That just doesn't sound like the orbit valve is bad. I know you have done the pump already, is it possible there's a relief somewhere in the circuit that's dumping your pressure?

ghitch75

well t think i got it fixed.......pulled my pump apart yesterday and the o-ring on the relief had blowed into......replaced the o-ring and reinstalled it........i put the pressure gauge in the supply line and at full throttle turning the wheel full right and left it hit 2000psi and i can turn it with 1 finger......i ran it for about 6 hours and it's still working......i guess the place i got the other pumps from must have a bad run of them......i hope i get a refund on the last pump they sent me.....

thanks for everyone's help....

Tuna

This is the only thread that I could fine pertaining to the steering pump that attaches to the steering wheel. Mine works fine but is leaking terribly, ( 580C) how hard is it to rebuild? I've done hydraulic piston pumps on my Ford NAA and 640. Not much on youtube for the Case pump.

Tinkerer

Delmer

You could try replacing just the seal. Can probably find one that will work by matching size and style. They just don't make seals to last anymore:D

Tuna

I found the seal kit for 70.00, downloaded the Parker Hydraguide™ Service Procedure manual to rebuild. Witch brings me back to the question has anyone resealed this Hand Pump? I checked with Midwest Steering out of Independence , MO if it just needs seals 275 and up if other problems are found.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
What area of the orbital valve is the oil coming from?
They often leak from the top seal & fill the steering column tube.
If so, the top seal can be replaced without removing the entire valve.

Tuna

Its leaking from the bottom (best I could tell), if I'm digging with it fill the steering reservoir once a day. I was moving a bunch of dirt, so maybe every 1/2 hour I'd stop and fill it. Last thing I want to do is break the cam shaft because I ran the reservoir dry. Next time I'm home I'll have to clean it off and see for sure where it is leaking at.