• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C ring & pinion replacement

1979case580c

I picked up a 79 CASE 580C not long ago cheap that wouldn't move and just made a banging noise. Just pulled the floor and transaxle cover and the ring and pinion are worn to death. I'm assuming the 3k hours on the clock are probably original for these gears and they finally gave out. Any suggestions on tearing it down and replacing them I'd really appreciate.
Also who to get QUALITY new parts from since I only want to do this once. Thx....Ed.

Attachments

• 0919201530c.jpg
    0919201530c.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
If all the metal from that ring gear/ pinion is still circulating in that case you should do complete overhaul...just completed one...parts manual is crucial here,especially for ordering side gear thrust washers,mainshaft shims,and diff carrier shims....many sizes of each.......My advice is order more of every one than you think you need....I got shut down twice waiting on more shims,in fact I made one of my diff carrier shims out of roof flashing because I was done waiting....I didn,t have to replace any major gears,but all seals,bearings,washers,shims,gaskets spider gears and pins added up to about $1000.00 through tractor stuff.....oh yeah, and several boxes of rebuilding juice helps too.....