• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580C donor carcass

DirtyHoe

I found a good deal on a partial 580C. It was mostly stripped of the major parts. I ended up with the front axle which is mostly garbage. The yoke is egged out from lack of maintenance. Other parts are the steering valve, shuttle shift with torque converter, transaxle, front console/electronics, foot controls, and miscellaneous steel hydraulic lines. Plus all 4 tires(junk) and rims.
Is there any valve besides scrap on the main frame? I do plan on saving the backhoe links. Unfortunately, I have to cut the pins to get it apart. They are frozen solid.
I told my wife I was going to refurbish, sandblast and paint the frame. Then transfer my other 580C to the shiny reconditioned frame. If looks could kill...

20220505_192440.jpg 20220511_201315.jpg

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
I'm thinking the most precious part of that lovely carcass is the uncracked transmission housing....good deal!

DirtyHoe

I'm thinking the most precious part of that lovely carcass is the uncracked transmission housing....good deal!

Hopefully, it's in good shape. I'll know more after I drain the oil and take a peek inside. The power shuttle was a bonus. It was dark when I picked it up and I didn't think it was there. I was after the transaxle.

Steve

DirtyHoe

The shuttle shift needs a good steam cleaning. Supposedly the machine was working before the engine quit and was removed. The oil in both the shuttle shift and the transaxle is a little milky. The rubber mounts for the engine and shuttle shift were worn out. I guess the machine had a lot of hours on it. I noticed the gas pedal and linkage didn't have much wear compared to my other 580C so that is encouraging. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

20220511_201406.jpg

Tinkerer

How does one salvage the hydraulic tank since it is part of the frame?
Cutting it off of that frame and reusing it would not be worth the effort.
It would be easier to leave it on the original frame and do a complete rebuild on that frame.
It wouldn't be a project many people would want to do.
Depending on circumstances I would do it.
Just like any frame off rebuild it could end up looking better than a new one.