• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580B How to get get the crown gear shaft out

pac11adp

Occupation
HD Mechanic
While getting the brakes working on this new to us 580B we noticed no carrier bearing preload (some slop) while the brake housings are off so we removed the top cover under the seat to get access to the crown and bull gear compartment and took the bearings out of both sides.

We wanted to check both side shafts for side gear shim cracks and change the leaking diff lock seal on the right. We only got out the right side drive pinion hollow shaft (found the shim in pieces) and we can't figure out how to get the left side out. It looks like the shaft in the center of the crown carrier should slide out but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice?

Here are some stolen pictures from another board member showing the area in question. Thanks Kevin. Thankfully all our gears are good.

Thanks all
Mike

sheepfoot

If your just replacing the thrust washer behind the side gear, jack up the rt hand wheel, remove the tire and rim. Remove the cotter pin and nut, washer from the bull gear, bump the axle out of the housing. You will be forcing the axle seal out and you may have to hit it hard. The axle will slide out, lift out the bull gear. Remove the side gear. To take out the cross shaft, you have to remove the pinion shafts lock pins, the shafts and gears, and thrusts, then it will take a press to push it out most of the time. I you need to do any pre load on the main pinion, you may want to slide the trans/ rear out instead of removing the wheel and bull gear so you can roll it out easier. You move the shims from behind the brake housing backing plates to adjust the backlash on the ring gear. Do not install any seals or O-rings for the backing plate until your shims are correct and tighten the backing plates to spec each time you check your spec's. It's hard to give you advice on how far you need to go, but if your in it deep it's better to fix and repair then to put it back and have to due it again.

pac11adp

Occupation
HD Mechanic
That's too bad, I was thinking there was a way to get that crown out without pulling the wheel and final drive and that would let the side gear and thrust washer on the left come out.
As I was saying, the side gear and broken thrust washer on the right side is out on the bench but I'm trying to check the thrust washer on the left side gear.

sheepfoot

You will just need the outer bearing, race and seal. The seal will be destroyed in the wheel end of the axle when you take it out, and you will need a press plate puller to remove the bearing to replace the seal. I would always keep a bearing, race and seal on the truck and just cut the bearing off when needed and go back with it. Like said with the wheel off, and nut real loose on the bull gear, hit the axle rear flange with a sledge hammer, your just having to force that axle seal out of the end and some are rear tight and others come right out. It's not that bad, it will take longer to jack it up and remove the wheel than to loosen the nut and hit the axle with a sledge. Be careful of tires and rims with added weights and liquid ballast if equipped when removing and installing if you do this.

micmut

Occupation
Equipment repair and maintenance
O Boy I think Im in the same boat, I have to change the gear and pinion in a 580K.
So I am looking for any help and or a manual to guide me the way about this task!