• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 sr hourmeter problem

sr-oz

G'day everyone this is my 1st time on this forum, after reading a heap of them I've found it a really helpful site well done. I've just recently bought a 580 sr, there was a few electrical problems that with the help of a good mate have been able to work through except for one, the hour metre is not working. The tach works fine and I'm presuming the hour meter runs off the alternator. I've seen a couple of threads on this relating to which wires to test on the alt which I haven't done yet as i'm currently away but was just wondering if anyone knows which wire on the 36 point connector that plugs into the instrument cluster is the hourmeter wire. The connector is numbered 1 to 36 on the pins and if I knew the correct one I could maybe test for continuity? The 580 sr dash here in Aus looks to be the same as the 580sm elsewhere. I'm determined to have a crack at gettin this meter working myself before I call in an auto-elec or ask Case. By the way it's the analogue type guage not the digital. Any help appreciated.

fpgm04

sr-oz, Welcome to the forum! I may have some bad news for you on your first post though.
If the tachometer is working, then the hour meter should be also (at least electrically) as they both use the same alternator AC signal on pin 19 based on the information I have. (Hour meter only increments when the engine is running, which is determined when the alternator is moving)

My best guess is you have a mechanical issue inside your hour meter such as a broken plastic gear.

I might be worth opening up your instrument cluster and checking the signal from pin 19 to the hour meter module, but I would not bet a lot you have an electrical problem with your hour meter.

Last edited:

sr-oz

Thanks fpgm04 for the reply, see i've learnt something already (pin no 19) that I didn't know before. That gives me something to go on and test, much appreciated.