• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580 K four speed transmission

jerryleechin

looking to buy 1991 580 k , first and second do not work but third and fourth work fine. any thoughts on repair and cost would be appreciated. JERRY

Equipmentguy224

1st and 2nd are probably on the same shift fork. very likely that the problem lies there. My 580 se wouldn't go into 2nd anymore. After removing the floor i was able to remove the shift cover. was a very easy fix. There was only a rollpin missing which connects a ball joint to the shift lever. was basically a 10c fix :D for me. see the thread here> https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/wont-shift-int-2nd-gear-or-4x4.69205/#post-740596
don't know much about the 580k's. May or may not be a more serious problem.

Tinkerer

I hope you are getting a really good price the machine.I hpe it is a shift fork problem but, if there are stripped gears you will be looking at some serious money to fix it. I don't know what your skill level is in regards to disassembling the transmission, if that is what it takes to repair it. If you need to hire it someone to fix it that is when the serious money gets spent.

jerryleechin

thanks for your replies but after further research have discovered the K's have a transaxle unlike the E"s that have a top loading transmission that i am much more familiar with. To answer your question the shifter is on the right console and the linkage goes to right side of trsnsaxle.First and second on one shaft and 3 & 4 on another. Looks like the only way in is from the front. Does not look to difficult but i have no idea what"s in there. currently waiting for shop manual. Could use a little guidance.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @jerryleechin
Try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission & see if the selector works.
There is a detent spring (#51 ) & ball (#40) set up in the gearshift lever pivot.
Sometimes this needs some lube to get things working freely or maybe some linkage adjustments to align the gateways.

Hopefully it will be something simple, otherwise its a 'transaxle out' job to fix it.....:rolleyes:

580SK gearshift lever.png

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
That's why I asked where the shifter was. You have a 580K phase III, you will need to drop the transaxle out to do any repairs on it. The shift fork probably broke they were bad about that from where operators jamming the gears.

jerryleechin

Hi guys been awhile, finally got the front cover off and all it was is the gear selector shaft the weld failed. Everything else looked good. Going back together when i get parking brake parts, let you know how everything ends up. Thanks again for all the help. JERRY