• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555E Brakes

bikernut

Occupation
retired
got a 555E TBL that is leaking brake fluid some where. had myself and another under the machine looking for said leak but couldn't even find the lines looked for about 45 minutes before throwing in the towel. when I fill the reservoir and give it one pump the brakes work wonderful and like the old Mercury ad says stops on a dime, wait a day or two and then reservoir is empty again. put fluid back in it and you can see it self bleeding and good brakes again. it has to be going some place but we couldn't as I said even find the lines or any excess fluid other the a hydraulic leak on one of the valves by the hydraulic reservoir tank. parts book show 2 lines to rear differential but I can't find said lines with the flexible hoses connected to them. No fluid under the fill tank and don't see any in engine compartment from master cylinders matter of fact couldn't even find the master cylinders, where are they located? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
got a 555E TBL that is leaking brake fluid some where. had myself and another under the machine looking for said leak but couldn't even find the lines looked for about 45 minutes before throwing in the towel. when I fill the reservoir and give it one pump the brakes work wonderful and like the old Mercury ad says stops on a dime, wait a day or two and then reservoir is empty again. put fluid back in it and you can see it self bleeding and good brakes again. it has to be going some place but we couldn't as I said even find the lines or any excess fluid other the a hydraulic leak on one of the valves by the hydraulic reservoir tank. parts book show 2 lines to rear differential but I can't find said lines with the flexible hoses connected to them. No fluid under the fill tank and don't see any in engine compartment from master cylinders matter of fact couldn't even find the master cylinders, where are they located? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Did you check your rear axle oil level ?If you don't see it leaking externally than it is a internal leaking in the axle causing the oil level to rise. What is you email address ? I can email you the service manual .It shows the lines in the service manual .

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Yep, it's leaking into the rear end. Mine was almost 5 gallons overfilled. Going to have it hauled to the dealer for repair one of these days. For now mine doesn't leave my property.

bikernut

Occupation
retired
never thought of that Tool_King thanks and here is my email below. A manual would be greatly appreciated and maybe it will show me where some wires are so I can get my other problems fixed. Thanks again
bikernutgoofy@gmail.com

Last edited:

bikernut

Occupation
retired
tool-king did you send the service manual as I didn't get one in my email. thanks
bikernutgoofy@gmail.com
tool-king got the manual and thanks, I haven't gotten to check the lines out as of yet. one question if the seal(s) and/or o rings are damaged or just old will that let the brake oil into the rear axle or will it just drain onto the axle and then to the ground? I called a shop and they told me between $5000-$7000 to fix rear brakes seems like they are rebuilding the whole rear axle for that amount. you can reply to my email account that I have posted above. thanks

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My closest dealer is 75 miles away. When I got my tractor a couple of years back they quoted me $900 to reseal the pistons and said to add a thousand if it needed discs. They only wanted $375 for pickup and delivery. I expect I will regret not jumping all over that but I just don't need the brakes for what I'm doing.

The brake cylinders are inside the axle. If they are leaking the fluid goes inside the axle. Take the axle fill plug out and see how much extra oil runs out.

bikernut

Occupation
retired
can the brakes o-rings and seals be replaced without an axle disassembly or does it need to be taken all apart to replace them?