• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

555A FORD BACKHOE WHITE GOBS OF WHITE IN COOLING SYSTEM

what would be causing this? started running opened the cooling system to change thermostat, engine

• any help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jimg984

555A ford backhoe started running hot, open cooling system to install new thermostat and found gobs of white grease,,engine oil is on the mark and looks good,, it has cooler in radiator for transmission oil, oil in transmission/convertor is a little high on mark and looks good, loosened drain plug and drained about a quart no white or milky oil looked new, tranny uses hyd/tranny oil, power steering is full, its not belt driven it has a internal drive to the engine why is the gobs of grease white and where is it coming from?

Last edited:

Chevy32720

You can send a sample to blackstone if you wanna be sure before spending a bunch of time and money. The sample costs like 30 dollars and they tell you the amount of minerals in the sample and were its coming from. It takes a few weeks to get results tho.

Vetech63

It could be some kind of stop leak also. Old timers (like myself) would use sodium silicate (water glass) in the cooling systems. An abundance of it would make the problem worse by sealing up your radiator cores. It also will turn white when installed too fast (don't ask me how I know). That may be remnants of something installed and also part of your cooling problem.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I don't know where Black stone is, but folks around SC use Parker Labs..
The new diesel p/u trucks w/ combo oil/water coolers when they go bad & mix.. the instructions say use
laundry detergent in the cooling system to get the oil out.. remove the thermostat..
Water & Borax, run, drain.. repeat..

jimg984

thanks for all the replies,,,, got another at lunch today,,,, appy air to transmission and check for air bubbles would air or too much air be harmful? going slow with issues to keep from extra labor and money

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Yes applying air to anything w/ seals is a gamble.. 2-3-4psi max.. & not for very long.. if u build up to much pressure from your air hose, you'll deff. see bubbles, if ya know what I mean..

The process for cleaning oil from the cooling system is as follows:
Drain cooling system, pour in a big bottle of liquid Cascade, refill w/ water & run engine to operating temp..
Depending on if you removed the thermostat will determine how long it takes..
Drain system after about 4 hrs of run time.. refill w/ water & run engine for 1 hr & drain.. check condition of water.. Repeat process as necessary..
Cascade, water, repeat..