1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

555a ford backhoe lubricants

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by jimg984, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

i dont like paying ford dealer prices on lubricants for use in a well used 1985 backhoe......... example $80.00 plus for 5 gallons hydraulic oil
    need help converting the followinG Ford number from a Ford operators manual to something cheaper

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM...............................FORD 48
    4X4 POWER REVERSING TRANSMISSION......FORD 41
    REAR AXLE............................................FORD 53

THS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU HELP
    JIMG984 NORTH CAROLINA

2. pinesd3400

pinesd3400 Well-Known Member

anything to bay the bills
    Hi I know youre concern, In my case my local Ford dealer where we bought it new
    closed up after 60 years. I have always used Ford New Holland Lubes filters etc.
    I now am forced to Napa using Napa's best (they also carry cheap stuff) Off my
    head may not be correct, but MC134 Hyd. oil used in Hydraulic, power steering
    and transmission. I have no problem at all with Napa, it also has printed on the
    container Ford JD IH Cat Case specs. and more. And the rear axle is plain old gear
    oil. I have never touched the rear axle since new and its still full and clean on the
    dip stick. trust me I wouldnt do anything to endager this machine. sam

3. diggerdave1958

diggerdave1958 Well-Known Member

I have found that TRACTOR SUPPLY (TSC) has a lot of lubricants that will work in my Case backhoe i just matched the numbers on the buckets they have a chat with compatible fluids, hope this helps. the prices are getting out of hand at the dealers on fluids and filters. and i use baldwin filters on all my machines and save a few dollars per filter.

4. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

ths for the replies........ i would like more input on the oil for the power reversing transmission....

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member

Do you have a bulk oil dealer that you can consult? The brand of oil is really not that important. It's the oil and the add mixes that go into it. Most all of the oil companies make oils that are made to meet or exceed MFRs specifications. The specifications should be available from your dealer or even on the container itself. Just take that spec and find an oil that meets or exceeds. I would try to find a good quality brand (I used Chevron for years), that is readily available in your area, and try to stay with it.