• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

544a transmission

Tony 65

Does anyone know how to clean suction screen on 544a. Looks to me like transmission needs to come out. Only about 1/2” of room between cover and frame.

lantraxco

It's only been thirty years, but isn't there a rubber 90 hose you remove, then a circle of bolts, pull the strainer and metal ring plate out of the case? I remember doing it, but not how tight it was. Did change the drive biscuits once too!

Tony 65

Perhaps I’m not looking in right place. No rubber hose. Just 2 covers on opposite sides of transmission at the bottom directly behind the drain plugs.

lantraxco

Perhaps I’m not looking in right place. No rubber hose. Just 2 covers on opposite sides of transmission at the bottom directly behind the drain plugs.
No, my bad, looks like the cover on the right side covers the strainer. Old brain.

Tony 65

Thank u. Yes that is what I was looking at. I guess there is no way to get it out short of pulling transmission. There is only about 3/4” space between the frame and that cover. Not enough to hardly remove the bolts. So can’t see any way I could get the strainer out. Seems a strange way to build something that needs to be serviced as a maintenance procedure.