• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

535 Ford Backhoe/Loader problem

Delmer

Picture #2 shows where the o rings go. the one on the bolt seals the bolt head. The small one inside the filter head seals the filter to the head to prevent unfiltered fuel bypassing the filter.

coastbuster

Occupation
was a union heavy construction electrician now ret
I fixed the O ring problem and it ran great. I took it for a ride around my 100 acres. Ran really strong then started to lose power and finally stall. Let it sit 2 minutes and restarted. Ran normal again,went 200 ft in 1st gear and started losing power again. Let it sit and restarted and so on and so forth. Doing that I was able to get it back to the barn. Seems to run great at full idle when not in gear and under load.. Feels like it's starving for fuel. I know I washed out the fuel tank and blew the lines last year. I'm going to pull the filter again and see if that gasket slipped down onto the filter top. Don't see how that could happen as it's sandwiched in.Only other thing is to drain the fuel tank and check the petcock filter again. P.S. look at this pic. Are the filter housing lines hooked up to the correct ports? Seems to me that the back right one should be on the front right port.Don't remember ever moving them.

Attachments

• 20200408_124300.jpg
    20200408_124300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200408_124313.jpg
    20200408_124313.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15

Delmer

If you didn't mess with those lines before, then don't mess with them now. If the filter o ring was put in the housing, and then it worked, don't mess with that filter again, yet.

Take the line from the tank off? will that run full for a full minute? if not, pull the shut off valve and clean that screen again. Do you have a drain on the bottom of one of the filters? drain that into your hand or a jar and see if there's any water or sediment. Any old rubber lines? replace them.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I HATE that filter set-up.. U see the rubber line connected to the the steel line,?? Thats the fuel return from the pump but the arrow is pointing OUT.??
1 other thing.. U ever heard of BRAKE KLEEN.?? Its a wonderful product for cleaning grease, grim & oil off of MANY DIFFERENT THINGS.. Lol

The problem your describing is a classic case of starving for fuel.. just like the filter is dry then refilling slowly.. like an oring is out of place.. or theres a vacuum problem..
BEFORE u try the outlet tap screen, try running it w/ the fuel cap OFF..
& dont try trouble shooting it w/ 5 gallons of fuel..

Last edited:

coastbuster

Occupation
I HATE that filter set-up.. U see the rubber line connected to the the steel line,?? Thats the fuel return from the pump but the arrow is pointing OUT.??
1 other thing.. U ever heard of BRAKE KLEEN.?? Its a wonderful product for cleaning grease, grim & oil off of MANY DIFFERENT THINGS.. Lol

The problem your describing is a classic case of starving for fuel.. just like the filter is dry then refilling slowly.. like an oring is out of place.. or theres a vacuum problem..
BEFORE u try the outlet tap screen, try running it w/ the fuel cap OFF..
& dont try trouble shooting it w/ 5 gallons of fuel..
I've been looking at that rubber return line going to the out arrow port for a while now,just like your question marks on the subject. The two out arrows are the same chamber after the filtered fuel. Possibly it's intent is to push return fuel out through the the other out arrow. I can't find any answers to that question. I switched the line to the in arrow. Now I have to reprime the system which is of course a nightmare. I'll try running it like that and see what happens before I investigate the fuel tank screen because last fall I completely drained and washed it out and cleaned the petcock filter so I'm leaning towards a different solution. I was a heavy construction electrical foreman for most of my 38 year career so I am quite experienced in logical troubleshooting. Never had a problem that wasn't solvable. I'll keep you guys in the loop. Dan

coastbuster

Occupation
The return line runs from the inj. pump to the top of each fuel injector then to what looks like a diaphragm and then to a small pipe which empties into the fuel tank just below the fuel tank cap. It flows but how much is it supposed to flow I don't know.It'snot a hard stream but it flows and drips into the tank.

coastbuster

Occupation
Hi Guys,been busy. I Checked the filter gasket again,still intact and correctly positioned. Disassembled the return line at the tank and blew it back to the filter with the filter off. Blew out easily so not blocked. Reassembled and bled out and restarted and seems to be running normally with full power. All that's left is to take it on a half mile ride up and down hills and see if the problem disappeared. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for your advice. Dan

coastbuster

Occupation
Okay,I was using the backhoe making a trench. Was running great for about 15 minutes then started losing rpms and power. Finally stalled. Waited 5 minutes,started and ran great again. Then lost power. Must not be getting enough fuel to fill the filter but I've done everything I can do. Wish I had a clear filter so I could see if that's the case. Maybe I should rig up a float bowl of some kind so I can watch whats happening. Maybe it has a Diesel flow Virus.

coastbuster

Occupation
Seems to run fine at idle but as soon as it goes under load and require more fuel is when the problem starts.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
It’s the filter under the inlet nut .. it’s clogged..
If all else fails, & it sounds like it has, put an electric pump on it..
No more than 10 psi tho..
How many times are u gonna keep taking the same things apart w the same result.?? Just askin for a friend.. lol

coastbuster

Occupation
It’s the filter under the inlet nut .. it’s clogged..
If all else fails, & it sounds like it has, put an electric pump on it..
No more than 10 psi tho..
How many times are u gonna keep taking the same things apart w the same result.?? Just askin for a friend.. lol
The main filter after the fuel tank inlet or the inlet on the Inj. pump?

Tinkerer

If pumpguy's suggestion isn't the problem, remove the the fuel tank filler cap after it the engine slows down or dies. You will be looking for /or if there is a vacuum in the tank. Plugged tank vents are notorious for the symptoms you have.

mitch504

Probably already covered this, but does it still have the needle valve and glass bowl under the tank? Those were terrible about clogging repeatedly. I take them out and replace it with a 1/4 turn ball valve.

coastbuster

Occupation
If pumpguy's suggestion isn't the problem, remove the the fuel tank filler cap after it the engine slows down or dies. You will be looking for /or if there is a vacuum in the tank. Plugged tank vents are notorious for the symptoms you have.
Did that yesterday. No change.

coastbuster

Occupation
Probably already covered this, but does it still have the needle valve and glass bowl under the tank? Those were terrible about clogging repeatedly. I take them out and replace it with a 1/4 turn ball valve.
Just has a pet cock valve with a filter in the tank above it. all clean.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Sorry bud.. I got busy..
Theres a plastic filter inside the pump.. U HAVE TO BE CAREFUL..
Pull the 15/16 nut & copper gasket.. Pull the big spring.. & adjuster..
NOW, HOLD THE GUTS DOWN W A SMALL SCREWDRIVER.. & take a 90* scribe & pick up on the filter..
Its on the "outside" of the guts.. I sure hope thats the problem.. Good Luck.