• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

4n1 bucket for everyday use?

stuvecorp

Going to trade in the 440 and get a New Holland 175 and was wondering about getting a 4n1 bucket instead of the regular bucket. I do alot of grading and loading so could this work good or does the 4n1 open up when grading/backdraging? Also am thinking about the Rezloh cutting edge for the bucket, is it worth it? I am trying to cut down on all the attachments I haul around as the grapple is on the truck most of the time but only use it for a small portion of the time on a job.:beatsme

tylermckee

I cant imagine you will regret getting a 4 in 1, you can do a lot with it and unless you seriously abuse the bucket and bend it i see no drawback. Never used a rezloh cutting edge, i wouldnt like it cause where i work we do a lot of work on pavement.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have a rezloh on one bucket. I really like it. Actually you become so dependant on it that once you have one it is hard to go without. The only time it is not a plus is when picking material off of concrete or asphalt. You have to keep the bucket level. pitch it at angle on asphalt and if it warm you punch right through it (ask me how I know). You tend to have to shovel more when pickuping up material on these surfaces. I usually will push up to a curb than roll the bucket to gather material. That does not work well with the Rezloh. Other than that great edge. They seem to last which is good as they are a kinda expensive. What are the advantages your getting with the NH over the CASE?

stuvecorp

I am thinking that the 4n1 is a good idea more and more, maybe start looking for a used low profile just to have.

When I started the only brand that would give me any love was New Holland, bought a 665 with tilt trailer, forks, auger for $10,000 used it for 2 years and traded in on a new 170 and kept everything but the skid and got 10 for trade. Ran the 170 for four years and only lost $4000. The New Holland doesn't have alot of power compared to the Case but like the lifting power and visability of the New Holland. It seems like the Case skid is a sinking ship, resale is nonexsitant and all that power just can't get to the ground. The 440 has been a good machine but the cab is terrible, I can't put the VTS track system on it without future problems with axles. The 175 has alittle more power, a two speed, they have a foot throttle, will come with the VTS and will have pilot controls (had to go to the cat controls:Banghead though). I will miss my Case controls but we are going to attempt a seat bar retrofit.

stuvecorp

With the 175 not being a powerhouse, I figured the Rezloh would help to slice thru hard materials easier? The blacktop scraping is something i haven't thought of, thanks.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Once you use a 4way bucket you'll wonder how you ever lived without one! The jobs you can do with it are endless, the labor savings tremendous. I've got one on my 248, the only time it opens is if it has sat for quite a while. I grade with it all the time, including backdragging. The only disadvantage is the added weight, it will reduce the amount of material you can lift by a slight amount. I don't own a GP bucket, just the 4way.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Once you use a 4way bucket you'll wonder how you ever lived without one! The jobs you can do with it are endless, the labor savings tremendous. I've got one on my 248, the only time it opens is if it has sat for quite a while. I grade with it all the time, including backdragging. The only disadvantage is the added weight, it will reduce the amount of material you can lift by a slight amount. I don't own a GP bucket, just the 4way.

I'm with Steve all the way. The only time I use my GP is to carry mud (concrete) to poured footings around sites I'm too tight to order up a pump on. The 4in1 gets used every job. I often grab a piece of 4x2 about 12' wide and clamp it in the bucket for finish levelling.....works well but its easy to take out a fence:eek:

There is a few threads around on this:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1329&highlight=4in1

stuvecorp

Thanks Squizzy, thought I had looked thru everything but missed that. I have looked up different 4n1's and think Virnig has one with about the same specs as a regular low profile bucket, now it's off to the dealer.